Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temperatures from 6600GT

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwngflies

Technical User
Apr 28, 2005
US
I wanted to know if anyone else had any temerature problems with any brand 6600GT's. I bought a Leadtek 6600GT-AGP, and during benchmarks, and certain high-end 3-D games, I am getting 90'C+ temps. I am using Riva tuner to monitor the temps. as they occur. I am not O/C'ing this card, I am running it at 500/900 3-D. I contacted Leadtek about this, and they weren't very helpful: quote:"nVidia makes the chip", I did, however, get a recommended temp max from them: Leadtek: 85'C max/ nVidia: 90'C max. I have gotten 92'C temps at times during CounterStrike:Source/DOOM 3/ and in benchmark tests.
I run 2 - 80mm inlet fans(1 front,1 side panel),and 1 80mm exhaust (rear), along with the exhaust fan in the P/S. I then added another 80mm fan inside the case blowing directly across the 6600 only 1.5 inches away. It is drawing air from inside the case, but I thought the added airflow would alleviate dthe problem.
I am running the latest release drivers from nVidia: 71.89
I am also correct about the input voltage to the card : 1.5 v
Can anyone post their temps for comparison?
My specs:
GigaByte K8NS -939 M/B
AMD64 3000+ 1.8GHz
Leadtek 6600GT-TDH (AGP)
Corsair XMS PC3200 TwinX 512MBx2
L&C 450W P/S
X-Blade case - I did route all wiring all to one side for better flow

Is the vid card fan spinning freely? Is there room for air around the card (I blew a card because another card was blocking the air-flow). Which way does the fan blow, down on the card to cool it, or up to remove heat? The reason for this question: if the fan blows down, and you have a case fan near blowing out, you may be "starving" the card for air. The reverse is also bad, the fan blows "up", and you are blowing air down again blocking the air. They make a fan (mounted on a PCI board), that can sit next to the card and blow (or suck) air directly on the card.

Maybe if you read what i wrote, you woul;d know i already installed a fan blowing air onto the card.......nvmd

drwngflies
Don't bite the hand that feeds, it won't be tollerated.

My two MSI 6600GT's (SLI) idle @: card 1 49C Card 2 44C
and go upto to around 66C and 59C in game.

Now i'm in the UK (springtime) so only moderately warm ambient temps.

There have been reports of some brands of 6600GT's where the paste/pad between the GPU core has been inadequately applied or fitted incorrectly so not touching the heatsink properly, definately worth removing and re-applying.

You might try in the meantime getting a desktop fan, removing the side panel and aim the fan at close range at the lower area of the case.

Also what are the temps reported in the Nvidia utilities program? just in case Riva tuner got it wrong.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Removing the case side cover was an unacceptable idea for me, since I paid good money for this X-Blade case to have the window exposed to view the interior.
I also changed the drivers from the 71.89's to the newer 77.13's and temps dropped 8'C at max readings, just from drivers.
I have since replaced the rear 80mm fan w/ a 120mm, and replaced the front intake 80mm fan w/ a 120mm. This has increased the db level quite considerably, but it helped the amb temps.
I also added a Zalman cooler to the 6600, and applied AS5 when I installed it. Now the card idles @ 40'C, with a max of 53'C during intense gameplay, usually around 51'C for most gaming.
The best $40 spent for hardware yet. Praise 4 Zalman's efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back