Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temp Monitoring

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirate252

Programmer
Mar 21, 2002
US
I am going to purchace a temp Monitoring system and it comes with bulb and "flat" sensors...i was wondering if i could put this "flat" sensor in between the heat sink and the prosessor without the following problems...
1. it will swish it and kill the probe
2. the heat transfer from the CPU to the heat sink will be affected (it says it has thermal tape, but i still dont know)

I also want to know if i can do the same thing with the video card processor, (stick it in between the sink and the chip)

Thanks,

Matt

I would sugest mounting them on the side of the heat sinks .... sticking in between the cpu and the heatsink might not transfer the heat enough to keep the cpu cool enough, how thick are the sensor's ?

Later
NEo81 >:):O>

I think all you will get with this configuration is the accurate temperature of you CPU at the point of time when the CPU blows off.

bye

frag patrick.metz@epost.de

ok,
so just mount it either on the edge of the chip where it is exposed or to the bottom edge of the heatsink, is this correct?

thanks,

Matt

I have seen some old plans for cooling devices where a hole is drilled into the thick base of the CPU cooler and a heat sensor or probe is inserted directly above the CPU. What you do not want is a sensor with air blowing on it to cool it off/heat it up. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

The temperature sensors are designed to tell the correct information about operating temperatures only when they are setup in the MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDED LOCATION!! Unfortunatly, finding out that information is harder than getting a 286 to run XP-Pro.
I've found that the 'Industry' standard is to attatch the sensors to the bottom of base , or in the middle of the 'wings' underneath the fan, of the heat sink. Never put any sensor between the surface of the CPU and the surface of the heatsink. Maximum heat transfer is the goal of the CPU/Heatsink contact. Not All Who Wander Are Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back