Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Temp Files That Knock RES License Key Offline

Status
Not open for further replies.

HTS-Chris

Vendor
Aug 15, 2018
US
For the LIFE of me; I can never remember the file-extension.

Like .rpt? Too many of them, in Temp dirs; will cause the PC not to see the MICROS USB License fob.

Never seen that happen. At this point, you should go keyless.

Moregelen; I'm dying to know who you are dude! You're a MICROS stud, and we must have crossed paths at some point.

Thanks!

Heh. Maybe. I've been to a few of the conferences, but not many. Just work on the east coast with roughly 900 MICROS 3700 systems we have to manage. Windows 10 is steadily turning it into a nightmare, but hey, its a living.

Anyone can actually log into edelivery.oracle.com and download the patches. As long as you've purchased any licensing Oracle requires (talk to your sales rep at Oracle if you aren't sure), then you're OK. And honestly... the software has no checks and anyone can sign up and download it...

Would a dealer normally charge to install the patch?

I don’t know of any company that will do IT work for free. Even if they aren’t charging you for the upgrade individually because of something like a maintenance contract, the cost of the labor was factored into the cost of the maintenance contract. A maintenance contract just incentivizes the customer to pay upfront meaning the dealer gets the money before necessarily providing the labor. So yeah. If you don’t do it yourself you are undoubtedly paying for it somehow.

^^ As long as the customer, has a licensing agreement; valid licensing agreement, I should say. In which case...why wouldn't they just use Oracle, instead of a (former) independent.

Well...the answer is, because Oracle support sucks; but you get what I'm saying.

BTW; just came across, a scathing article...about a lawsuit against Oracle, for exactly this kind of BS. They didn't honor MICROS perpetual licensing, when they acquired the company. They're making everyone, go SaaS...or re-buy their licensing; and...they have no idea, how to run PoS. But that's just me talking.

Damn. Might be worth becoming a dealer... [lol]
If I became a dealer could I just provide the patch for free then at my own expense?
Or would there be more Oracle red tape complicating it?

We maintain our licensing directly with oracle, but do all software patches and even hardware maintenance either ourself or through a third party POS-agnostic vendor. We are in the process of switching to Aures Yuno workstations for example (well, any workstation not at least a 5A anyway).

Not to turn this into a thing; but IMO...Oracle has really screwed this product up.

I get it: the whole reason, MICROS sold...is they saw the industry, going SaaS; and they couldn't develop it internally. Oracle could...and, wanted a presence in Hospitality (presumably, according to reports and actions; to force sale, of its' Red Suite). As such...Oracle, has ZERO interest; in anyone, who can't afford a $1,000,000 Enterprise stack.

We started servicing, all those customers...left out in the cold; and with a bad taste in their mouth, over Oracle's terrible CS. But...as updates happen; you can't keep those old, "stand-alone" systems up and running, indefinitely. And Oracle won't typically, license Independent dealers (not sure who Moregelen works for...and I'm sure he's not telling, lol).

Point is; to answer, what may have been a rhetorical question DanG. I don't think, it's a good move. We got out, moved on...and couldn't be happier. IMO...you won't see "MICROS", in anything but chains; soon enough.

I actually work for a 900+ location chain, not a dealer. If leaving micros was realistic for us right now we’d be perusing it.

I understand where you're coming from, Chris. We work with independent restaurants and trying to help them get licenses from their resellers/oracle/wherever has been an extreme pain. If there's a world where I could just walk in, install a patch, and have it be done with, that would save me a ton of headache. If that just consists of becoming a dealer and installing the patch myself free for my customers, I'd be on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back