Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

temp file filling up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenschmitz

IS-IT--Management
Feb 14, 2005
US
I am using VB6 to import the data into access then using VB6 to properly define the pages (problem in access). Lastly I am using VB6 to envoke the ACCESS snapshot to get print files ready. In doing this I have two files that i receive a very large and a small file. The small file works wonderously. the large file however in step two (define pages) is filling up the temp directory and thus crashing the process. How can I manage this temp problem from either VB or ACCESS?

What exactly are you doing, and how.
1.Importing data from a Text file into Access using VB6 - this is OK
2.Define the pages using VB6 - what pages ?
3. call access to print the files - what files ?

I am sorry, I do not understand step 2 and to sure about step 3.Maybe some code would help ?

In VB I am using measurements of the headers etc... to calculate the pages (8.5 x 11) to get an accurate page count. I was letting access do this but it was coming out with the wrong page counts on approximately 15% of the pages. When printing the reports duplex this would cause page1 of the next report to print on the back of the erroneous page. As I understand it when access runs this particular process it takes 10 records at a time and runs the process. There is nothing in ACCESS to remove the temp file for these first 10 records and thus it builds until it fills the temp folder and stops the process in mid stream. I have a total of 19000 records each with a minimum of 4 pages.

The last step in the process is to produce snapshot files. These snapshot files are what we use to print in this instance.

19000 x 4 = half a Rainforest !! Glad I am not reading that.

Anyway could you not simply print one record then finish the print job, then start a new one. This would prevent the memory problem you seem to be encountering

A problem with no solution is a problem viewed from the wrong angle

Thanks for your response and time however the printing is not the problem.

The problem rests in the previous step. If there were a way that I could get access to delete the temp file before it took the next 10 records the problem would be solved. Any Ideas on how to do this? Is there a way in VB that during the loop to count the pages that I allocate a location for the temp file? Is there a way in VB that during the loop I can delete the temp files? Is there a way in ACCESS that I can delete the temp files? Once I get past the temp area the snapshot and print production works great.

sorry i don't know the answer to that? But if you are using Access to send the print job then I would assume that it collates the information, then sends it as one job. If that is the case then I don’t think you will be able to delete the file without deleting the print job. This is purely speculation though

A problem with no solution is a problem viewed from the wrong angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back