Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Teltronics SEB II Modem - CHK light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippowell

Technical User
Jul 13, 2006
US
Is the CHK light supposed to always be on? Modem is working fine.

Thanks!

No, the CHK light indicates it has lost it's database. More than likely the internal battery is shot. It may work fine for dialing into but if it is reporting alarms to a surveillance center then that database is more than likely gone. The batteries can be purchased at BatteriesPlus if that ends being the culprit.

Have Battery Plus get you a replacement for PE6V3A battery. These are 3Ah batteries, but I have replaced them with smaller 1.5Ah batteries and they work fine. Just don't hold the charge as long.

Then like KCF stated, the database is lost If you monitor your own systems, then just rebuild the database. If you do not, then have your provider monitor.

If you have a provider they should have seen this and reloaded the database. If you need the database reloaded or the SEB reprogrammed, just let me know it doesn't take that long.

I think KCFLHRC means "yes, it's supposed to be on all the time, the CHK light being off indicates the SEB has lost its database.

Odd. I asked my channel partner, who monitors my system, and the tech replied this light is always on. Works to dial into fine, and the channel partner does call me from time to time with alarm issues.

I would find another channel partner. If the SEB is working correctly and in the idle state the only lights that should be on is the PWR and READY. The CHK light indicates a problem. It very well could be that it's just the battery. If you hit the reset button on the SEB it should generate an alarm to the monitoring location. I would do that and see if they get an alarm. If they do then I would unplug the SEB and see if the PWR light stays lit. If the PWR light goes out immediately or shortly there after then the battery is shot.

Just to test, I reset an SEB back to default. Pressed the reset button 15 times and the CHK light went out. Then I uploaded a test ASP and Database to the unit and the CHK light came on. Then I reset the SEB again, pressing the reset button 15 times and the CHK light went out.

So the answer to the $25,000.00 question, is YES, the CHK light is supposed to be on if the modem is functioning properly.

I guess it's been a while since we normally put in the Netpath boxes now and I needed to see for myself.

So, under the SYSTEM block: PWR/CHK/RDY should be on if everything is working fine, and if there is no Database or ASP file loaded then the CHK light will be off adn PWR and RDY light will be on.

Hope this clears it all up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back