Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnetting works O.K. but I can't use the Console port

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 7, 2000
US
I have remove my router from the rack so that I can reconfigure it. However when I connect to the console port the following message is displayed: Translating "router" domain server (255.255.255.255) and it won't clear or let me go any further. Yet, if I put the router back on then network I can telnet to it and configure as I see fit.

Why would I be able to telnet but not configure the router through the console port?

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to telnet to the console port....you can't do this, you have to use hyperterminal to connect to the console port. david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

No, I'm not trying to telnet to the console port. I have the console port connected to my work station as it should be. When I restart the router I see through the image decompressing in the hyperterminal window. Once it's done it says "Press Return to Get started". Then the next line says Translating "Router" domain server (255.255.255.0).

Then if I connect the ethernet interface back to the network I can telnet to that interface.

Try to connect the system to the network and remove the IP Name-server entry. This might make it error faster...

david e
*end users are just like computers, some you can work with...others just need a simple reBOOTing to fix their problems.*

I have already removed the IP name-server entry. When I look at the start or running config there is not a name server configured.

If you don't need the current cofiguration (or have it downloaded to a system) you can erase nvram (startup-config) I believe the command is erase startup-config. once the system comes back up it should take you directly into the setup mode. If you need the current configuration then we need to travel down a different road......

david e

Because you didn't specify the model in question I would suggest you search the Cisco site for "Recovering A Lost Enable Secret Password (1000/1600/3600/4500)". Follow the password recovery procedure for you specific router. This will grant you access to the router with having to resort to blowing away the IOS. This won't necessarily solve your problem, but will allow you to dig around a little more. Regards,

Don

RouterGod,
So on a 1000/1600/3600/4500 router deleting NVRAM deletes the IOS? I know on a 2700/2500/2600/7200 it places you into configuration mode where you setup the passwords. Was I wrong with my recommendation????????? :-(

david e

No. You are right. Bad choice of words on my part. What I meant to imply, hoping I convey it right this time, is that an option to erasing the NVRAM would be to bybass it by altering the config register. This way all the configs are still local to the router. Make sense? Regards,

Don

Okay, wow you had me worried a little. Thanks for clarifying that for me........would hate to give out wrong advise on a public board..... :)

david e

That's what it's all about though! Hatching things out, bouncing ideas off other people... and so on. Again my fault for not re-reading my reply. Hope to hear back about the origional question though? Regards,

Don

Thank you all for your tips. I'm not sure why but nothing helped so I decided to reboot my work station. Once I did that I was able to connect to the console with no problem.

Well, glad that it was that easy to fix......Take care

david e

Good Job Guys !!!! Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back