Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnetting to AIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

promise1

IS-IT--Management
Sep 3, 2000
NG
Hi all!
When i attempt to telnet / log in from the console to my rs/6000 H70 server , i get the message

"All available login sessions are in use"

What is the cause of this and how can i effectively increase the number of login sessions allowed.

Kindly reply ASAP as i need to access the server.

This message often affects root logon at the console too.

cheers
Promises

do a keyword search for 'login' scroll down the page and look for cannot login something like that ..this will explain to you what to do and the reason why its happening.it will be senseless of me to re explain.check it out.

good luck

you might not have enough pseudo devices setup. Check it out in smit.

smit->devices->pty->change/show characteristics

here you can see how many pseuto terminals (telnet sessions) you have assigned.

This could also be a problem with you OS license.

smit->system environments->change/show number of licensed users.

Keep in mind, that you are supposed to pay for the licenses.

Hi! Crowe. Find below the values for PTY and OS licinsing for the Servers. Any more ideas?? Change / Show

Characteristics of the PTY
STATE to configure at boot time [available]
Maximum number of Pseudo-Terminals [256]
Maximum nos of BSD Pseudo-Terminals [16]

Change / Show Number of Licensed Users
Maximum number of FIXED licenses [2]
FLOATING licensing off

Regards
Promise

It is the number of fixed licenses. Somewhere on your AIX purchase invoice it should state how many licenses you bought or contact IBM. Then change the no. of FIXED licenses to this and REBOOT.

The new pSeries and RS/6000 servers and workstations now come with an unlimited user license for AIX. When you upgrade an older RS/6000 to the latest AIX, that license is also for unlimited users. However, when AIX is installed, the number of licensed users still defaults to 2 users and you have to use SMIT > System Environments > Change/Show Number of Licensed Users or chlicense command to change it. I think if you put it to 64 it reboots to unlimited.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark, professionals built the Titanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back