Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnetting and getting garbled characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

limejudo

Technical User
Aug 4, 2004
US
Hey all, I have a 2511 which has a 2600 connected via port 14.
I run telnet "ip" 2014 from command line and it lets me into the router fine UNTIL I attempt to log in. Once I log in with the enabled password I recieve garble charaters :
ý1ùŽÏŒÌ
ý1ùŽÏŒÌaÿ1ùi))Raÿ1ùi)RRÂ×æ1ùŽÏŒÌ
Âÿ1ùÒRRRÂó :
So far I've had a tech reboot the router remove mem, wics and also I've ran "clear line 14.

Any advice would greatly help.

Eric Massey
A+ Net+ I-net+ (taking CCNA next week)!!!

First off I would check the telnet settings
Bits/Sec = 9600
Data Bits = 8
Parity = None
Stop Bits = 1
Flow Control = None
is the default, but if the router has had changes you will need to find and match those.

Other options are make sure you have an up to date hyperterm program. It has been my experiance that the hyperterm that comes with XP is trash and can actually lock up a router to the point of needing a hard reboot.

Lastly physical cabling can cause this type of problem.

Good luck!

SF18C
CCNP, MCSE, A+, N+ & HPCC
Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!

I wish I could get into the router to check the settings but its in NY and I'm in Louisiana. Last night I tried to changed the setting on the tty line hoping to matche the settings on the router.

So... you're in the 2511 just fine, you telnet from the 2511 to the 2600 via asynchronus port #14, get the prompts, actually log-in, and THEN you get garbled output?

Doesn't seem to me that the concern is with hyperterm settings when we're using telnet to hit a VTY port.

Are you also using telnet to connect to the 2511 or are you on a console port?

I'm using telnet. Yes I can hit the 2511 fine and I can hit the banner on the 2600, but after I enter the first pwrd I get
garbled test. I was going to attempt to change the baud on tty 14, but I'll be guessing numbers all day. I even set the tty 14 line to autobaud ant it didn't work. I appreciate every one for helping also.

Just wanted to let you know I have another router in place. Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back