Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

telnetd logging

Status
Not open for further replies.

A5k

Programmer
Jul 29, 2001
CA
hi all,
I was wondering if Redhat 7.3 installs with logging enabled for telnetd. If so, where is the log file? If not, how would I go about logging all telnet attempts?

thanks,
-a5k

I'm pretty sure all login attempts should be in /var/log/messages provided you have an entry like

*.info /var/log/messages

in syslog.conf

Cheers Henrik Morsing
IBM Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration

Trevor,
are you sure that would log failed attempts?? The super server can't tell if you enter an incorrect password.

Cheers Henrik Morsing

thanks for the replies...what i was looking for was in /var/log/messages. I believe that I also read somewhere that failed login attempts only gets logged after 5 failed tries. Is there a way to change this value, say to 2 or 3?

-a5k

Failed login attempts are always logged. Maybe you read that the account gets locked after a number of attempts.

Can't remember exactly where that is but look around in /etc or check 'man login'.

Cheers Henrik Morsing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back