Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ablecken

Programmer
Jun 5, 2001
US
How would I go about setting up telnet services on a linux box. I would like to administer this linux box from another computer. Not necessarily another linux computer.
Thanx
The Newbie
Able

Stay as far away from Telnet as you can get. Use SSH (Secure Shell)... There are a couple options -- or I prefer straight SSH, I've had problems with OpenSSH.

Definately use SSH2, SSH1 seems to keep breaking and finding new holes.

Once you get the source, take a good look at the README and/or INSTALL files which will help you right along.

Hope this helps,
Paul

I cant seem to get the ssh to work correctly. the process is running but i cant log in.

you also need an ssh client to login into ssh server.

-Danny

Are you seeing any error messages by your client or on the box you are trying to SSH into? You might have to play with your sshd_config file to allow access from particular systems and for particular users.

Let us know if you are seeing any error messages - that would help narrow down the problem a bit.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back