Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet to SMTP Port = blank. How to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillyTIM

MIS
May 23, 2002
US
hey guys -

i recently installed windows 2003, and exchange 2003, on the same box from scratch - full, new installs. i have exchange 2003 rolled out to users, and everything is working great.

i have the smtp connector setup and running, and the smtp service is running.

however, when i telnet to port 25 on that box, even from the box itself, all i get is a blank screen - no ESMTP message or anything. when i press a key, it quits the telnet session.

what do i need to do to get smtp working properly so i can get it to receive mail from the outside? and, at the very least, get that welcome ESMTP message when i telnet to port 25?

thanx much, in advance!

I've just done a fresh install of Win2003 server and Exchange 2003 as well. I'm having a different problem of the exchange server not showing up in the System Manager. It's just not there! I was hoping you could give me a clue. I've followed all the steps for installing but I'm having no success. All the windows functions seem to work perfectly, but exchange is not responding as a legit server. If you could email me directly at alerts@rzbb.net I'd really appreciate a clue here. I'm hoping it's a checkbox that didn't get checked. See my latest threads for my exact problem. Thanks.

BTW- my smtp does respond to the telnet request, not sure why yours doesn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back