Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet to server not working - routing prob ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac325ci

MIS
Jan 16, 2004
US
so im trying to telnet to one of my servers and it only get to where it says Escape character is '^]'. and sits there.. it is a solaris 10 box.. nothing in messages file in console.. this is the what the routing table looks like..

# netstat -nr

Routing Table: IPv4
Destination Gateway Flags Ref Use Interface
-------------------- -------------------- ----- ----- ------ ---------
192.168.1.0 192.168.1.157 U 1 310 hme0
default 192.168.1.250 UG 1 608
127.0.0.1 127.0.0.1 UH 2 79 lo0

question is .. how come its machine ip address is listed as gateway.. is that correct ? also i can ping gateway no prob and once i reboot the machine works fine...please help thanks...

your gateway is "default 192.168.1.250" or should be
your host IP is 192.168.1.157 (hme0)
This is the normal display of netstat -nr. Our systems say exactly the same. Have a look at "man netstat" for further details. The U=Up and G=Gateway

ok i think i resolved the issue.. changed /etc/nsswitch.conf

old

hosts: nisplus [NOTFOUND=return] files

new

hosts: files dns

I was going to say, it sounds like login is timing you on the reverse DNS lookup. This can generate up to a 15 minute (5 min timeout x 3 attempts) delay before presenting the login prompt. very common problem with incorrect DNS settings or a bad DNS server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back