Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet to router from outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneColdphoneman

Technical User
Jan 13, 2003
US
Hi to all
I setup my router DHCP using rfc1918 on my private network and I did set Nat using overload every think works ok but how can I access my router from outside using telnet where do I assign static address so I can telnet from outside
And the other think is if I want to use static address how can I because I did assign private address to my interfaces so the gateway address is 10.10.10.1 so when I use public static address that my isp give me it don’t work how can I get around this .

Thanks

Hi,

Why dont you allow for ssh rather then just telnet from the outside, it is more secure. Download a SSH program from the net, you should then in your vty add the "ssh ip mask outside" or the other alternative is to check that there are no access-list associated with your vty and then you should have access from the outside.

Cheers

Stonecoldphoneman:

I assume you are talking about cable or DSL for home or small network. The public IP is dynamic instead of static.

The way to access your router from the Public side of your router is to use telnet with the public IP if you do not have an access-list setup for the public side of the router to block telnet. To find out what is your IP, you could go to the Then you can use the telnet xx.xx.xx.xx to get to your router or you could show interface of the ethernet port that connected to the Internet.

After you can get to it from the outside, then you need to learn how to get to it with SSH like what quakesh mentioned.

Hope this helps!

Cool telnet I have under control thanks.
I have two interfaces one is serial 0 this is dsu-csu T1 card for T1 my isp give me 12 static ip’s to use my oter interface is fast Ethernet0 this interface I did setup using rfc1918
10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0 I also did setup ip nat inside on interface fast ethernet 0 and ip outside on interface serial0 router is set to do DHCP using rfc1918 address. This works fine if users set nic card do obtain ip address automatically but if I want to use static address on one pc that’s were problem comes in since I’m using DHCP 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0 and my static address are 65.246.xx.xxx 255.255.255.240 so any ideas
how can I do this since the default gateway is 10.10.10.1 255.25.255.0 and the static ip that isp give me are 65.241.xx.xxx 255.255.255.240.

Hopefully this makes sense.
Thanks in advance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back