Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet to remote Solaris 9 machine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 15, 2006
GB
Hi,

I can happily login from my Windows XP x64 machine using telnet to a remote solaris 9.0 OS machine that I have an account for. I can see the files I want to copy on the Solaris machine but cannot find how to copy them. I believe I have the necessary permissions. My problem is specifying the destination. I have tried using the CP and RCP commands. For the destination I have tried my IP address, my machine name and the localhost keyword. Any help much appreciated

Are you trying to copy back to the PC? If so why don't you use ftp.

I am trying to copy back to PC. not sure if I have an FTP login to the solaris box though. Would I run FTP on the solaris box from the telnet window on my PC? Or run FTP on my PC and login to the solaris box?

I think I saw the solaris box owner copy files like I am trying to by using the cp or rcp command from the telnet window.

Unless you are running some special software on your Windows PC you won't be able to copy it directly from your telnet session. Open a "command" window on your Windows PC, ftp to the Solaris box using the same username and password and "get" the file that way.

Annihilannic.

Unless ftp is disabled for security reasons on the solaris box, you should be able to use ftp to do your file transfers.

You'll need to check /etc/ftpusers on the solaris box and make sure the username you are connecting as is NOT in the file to allow ftp access.

You're pretty much limited to ftp (although you may be able to do something crazy like make the directories you need to copy files from available through a url if you're running a webserver on the sun side). Other native solaris commands like rdist or rcp will not work as they are not supported in windows.

Your other option is to make the directory trees you need available via nfs and running a windows based nfs client, although you'll need additional software to do this, and personally I don't trust windows enough to do NFS reliably, but it's your call. Best bet is still ftp.

Vincent Esposito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back