Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

telnet problem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrapin

MIS
May 4, 2000
US
I have a interesting situation where if one of my two risc/6000 machines is brought down I try to telenet to the one machine that is up it takes minutes to find machine eventually telenets as soon as the other machine comes up no problem telenet right away.Does anybody know whats going on here?Mind you i can ping machine fine while other machine is down.

Is machine2 your dns server?

We have similar problems if our dns service is out - aix tries to do a reverse lookup on the address you're connecting from, and it can take several minutes to time out.

Are there any NFS mounts across the machines? If they are not available it can cause odd problems like this.

hth,
ian

There is no NFS across these two machines and I am not using any dns that I am aware of on any of these two machines.

Questions:

1) what does "cat /etc/resolv.conf" look like?
2) if you do "nslookup 192.168.1.1" from machine1 while machine2 is up, what do you get? how about when machine2 is down? (replace that address with the actual IP address of the client trying to telnet to machine1).
3) what does "netstat -nr" look like? any funky routing issues? (probably not, since you can ping ok, but you never know...)

Verify that no domain name services are running on the machine by typing domainname. If there is no response this is a good indicator that no domain name services are running.
Check your /etc/netsvc.conf file to be setup hosts=local,bind4 to have the system look at the hosts file before going to the internet to lookup names. If the other AIX system is a gateway for the current system this may cause a problem.
If the reverse lookup is causing a problem and you are running version 4.3.3.15 of bos.net.tcp.client the /etc/inetd.conf telnet entry can be modified and a -c flag added to telnet. This should stop the reverse lookup from occuring.

/etc/resolv.conf is empty

191.0.0.6 Address of machine when i bring down i can not tn to mod01
Server: mod01 191.0.0.1
Address: 0.0.0.0

same reponse when I run this command on any machine

The problem was that resolv.conf file exsisted and was empty.I assume someone tried to set up dns at one time.I deleted file and telnet worked just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back