Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet not installed on linux box

Status
Not open for further replies.

d00ner62

Technical User
Nov 15, 2011
CA
I may be saying all of this wrong, I am new to linux. We have a UC-module that is linux based. This UC-Module converts voicemails to emails and sends them to an smtp server.

I want to test the smtp communication from the CLI

I know in telnet i can do the following:
"Telnet smtp.mail.XXXX.com 25"

I will get a 220 response and that is good.

Without telnet being installed on the linux box, is there another way to get communication back just to see if there is some sort of communication?

Are at least can someone tell me if putting Telnet on the box is hard and what I might require?

You can use telnet to test any port that is open and has a listener attached, to get an announce banner as a response, without having a telnet server on the the box.

Telnet is most often used to test (or spam) SMTP servers but you can telnet to IMAP, POP3, HTTP and so on, you just replace 25 (SMTP) with the port number to test.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

im talking about the telnet terminal service. It isnt active on the linux box i am sending out from

I need to test yahoos smtp server from my linux box to see if yahoo is blocking the public IP

Unfortunately the linux box is the only thing i can test from because the firewall only allows smtp traffic from the linux box's IP

if you have admin access to the linux server, the telnet client (dont need the server) can be installed without hurting anything. You dont mention what flavor of linux you are using, so the exact command will vary depeding on that. For example, on my linux server I could type this (as root):

yum whatprovides telnet

and it responds with a few items that look like this (just the one cut/pasted):

1:telnet-0.17-47.el6_3.1.x86_64 : The client program for the Telnet remote login protocol

To install, (as root), you would then type:

yum install telnet-0.17-47.el6_3.1.x86_64

Once that completes, you can then use telnet to test port 25 (or any other port) to verify smtp or other application is listening/accepting connections.

I got this

[root@uc-module ~]# yum whatprovides telnet
Loaded plugins: downloadonly, fastestmirror, security
Loading mirror speeds from cached hostfile
file:///mnt/source/avaya/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] Could not open/read file:///mnt/source/avaya/repodata/repomd.xml
Trying other mirror.
file:///mnt/source/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 14] Could not open/read file:///mnt/source/repodata/repomd.xml
Trying other mirror.
Warning: 3.0.x versions of yum would erroneously match against filenames.
You can use "*/telnet" and/or "*bin/telnet" to get that behaviour
No Matches found

Based on your output, it appears that the system in question is looking for its yum repository on a locally mounted cd/dvd. If the install media is not currently mounted you will get those errors.

You said the UC-module was linux based - do you know what flaver/version of linux? Look in /etc for a file named *-release. If it exists, what does it say?

IE on one of my servers, I see this:
--> cat /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 4 (Nahant Update 4)

(yes, its old).

The tool nc (netcat) can be used as an alternative to telnet to test the communication.

You clearly have An Avaya IP Offcie UC module.
you would possibly be better of asking for assistance in the IP office forum

A Maintenance contract is essential, not a Luxury.
Do things on the cheap & it will cost you dear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back