Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet Linux to HPUX - Messy Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tony500

MIS
Mar 20, 2002
US
I use mandrake 8.1 and telnet to an HP unix server on a LAN. When I telnet in, my environment is messed up. When I run commands such as `ls -l` it is a sideways, out-of-line mess. What is the best way to make the TERM on the Linux box match the TERM on the HP Unix box? (and is that the problem?) You can usually find me at

Can you boot mandrake into "text mode" and try telnet from there? Also try switching to another desktop run "switchdesk" or linuxconf Config->boot mode->Mode->default boot mode and click on it. Select the Graphic & Network button and Accept. --
| Mike Nixon
| Unix Admin
| ----------------------------

(I'm repeating wwhat I said in response to this same question in the Linux forum because you may not have gone back there to read responses)

What you need is a termcap and/or terminfo on the HP that actually matches what your Linux box is. See if you are unclear about this.

As to getting a Linux termcap or terminfo that actually works well, that's sadly another story. I've seen various claims from numerous people that they have a working solution; I've found none of them to be perfect- there's always problems somewhere- however, you can surely do beter than what you have.

In theory you would just extract the "linux" entries from your Linux termcap and /usr/lib/terminfo.src, transfer them to the HP, run tic, do a little stty to fix up the intr and backspace and that would be the end of it. In practice- well, as I said, results vary.

I did have excelent luck with a beta version of a Linux terminal emulaator from Powerterm. I understand they are releasing that soon- that actually lets you emulate a terminal that your HPO may be more happy with.

If you use and search for "linux terminal" you'll find a lot of related information
including termcaps etc. Don't expect them to be perfect- I already know that none of them are, but you should be able to at least improve things.

Tony Lawrence
SCO Unix/Linux Resources tony@pcunix.com

Have you tried typing the following, once youve connected to your remote session

tput clear
tput sgr0 (thats a zero, by the way)

the tput command uses the terminfo database to make terminal dependant capabilities and info available to the shell.

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back