Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet into RedHat 8 Server???

Status
Not open for further replies.

BMW

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2001
US
All,

By default RedHat 8 doesn't allow unsecured telnet client into it. I am on a NT4 workstation, I would like to telnet into my RedHat 8 box. If the security is not an issue, how can I allow the unsecured connection? Must be a file somewhere needs to be edited?

Thanks,
BMW

Make sure ssh is installed on RH. Look in /etc/init.d for sshd. You can always dl and install OpenSSH from
You will need working installations of Zlib and OpenSSL.

Zlib:

OpenSSL 0.9.6 or greater:

RH 8 should have those, depending on what packages you installed.

>Think for yourself<
...or someone else will do it for you.

If you truly trust your network, ie a home network of 3 computers, you can use the telnet daemon by setting it up in /etc/inetd.conf. While ssh is great, it really is not always necessary!

hi,
there are free ssh clients like puttytel on or you can telnet to redhat 8.0 box through command prompt of windows NT workstation.But first make changes to your
/etc/xinetd.d/telnet file.
Just change the &quot;disable=yes&quot; option in it to &quot;disable=no&quot;
and restart your xinetd service using the command
/etc/init.d/xinetd restart.

Also redhat does not allow root login through telnet due to the file /etc/securetty.You can telnet as normal user and the switch user to root or move the file /etc/securetty from its location to allow root login through telnet.
Bye.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back