Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telnet Access without using Switchview or Optivity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMAHAVAANSWR

Programmer
Aug 29, 2002
US
We are curently looking for a soultion to access our PBXs using Telnet.A dial up modem is a dinasaur compared to IP divices.Our vendor would like to sell us a solution such as Switchview Or Optivity.The cost was a huge disappointment.

You can telnet to a meridian with most good comms applications, such as procomm. I guess the real question is more to do with the skill level of your system admin, i.e. would they be comfortable using Nortel's mnemonic programming interface or would it be more practical for them to use an app like switchview or MAT.

We already have a program to telnet into a switch. We need the IP interface. What would allow Procomm to access the PBX?

Hi
I use procomm with a modem.. works fine Colin

We use 4-port terminal servers from nbase-xyplex. Connecting the TTY-ports to the server, one on each site, and telneting in.
We also manage all the telnet sessions using a console server.
Any small terminal server should do, but i have had problems using A 1-port Compact Terminal Server from Black Box on Opt11C. Worked great on Opt81C.

Added benefit from using a console-server is
increased security (ports always connected) and logging.

henrik.

In Procomm's "Dialling Directory", you can make entries for dial-up, Telnet, FTP etc.

You need to purchase what is called a Terminal Server. it takes serial interfaces and maps them to IP. Many different brands exist but I chose Black box, they makes single port units and Multiple port units. One features with the black box units that i like is they do not allow standard telnet to operate properly (simple security so JOE-BLOW NOSEY cant get into PBX and screw it up).

hope this helps

I use rlogin with a userid of CPSID and a vt100 capable program. It works ok for doing basic work and checking on things.

I use SecureCRT as I am normally using ssh to admin unix systems. Most good telnet clients will also support rlogin so that you can speak directly to the switch using IP.

I haven't suffered any ill consequences and this is the same way MAT connects, but be careful anyway.

I agree with slykens. I use Daves Telnet (freeware) to telnet to the PBX with the same parameters slykens mentioned. In addition, we have added a VLAN to local LAN switches and used IP addresses from this VLAN for the PBX. The Meridian must be on its own subnet. The processors don't deal well with lotsa broadcasts - they init - not a good thing:-(

I use a program called Multiview 2000 with the rlogin connect option.
Works very well even from VPN connection on dial up!

very handy, IP connecting to 7 pbxs

We use a Lantronix SCS100. These terminal server hooks to any free TTY port on your switch. The best part of these versus others that I have seen is that you can set passwords to prevent unauthorized users from getting in to the switch.

Look up XPORT Embedded Device Server on the net. It's about the size of a RJ48 Jack. Connect your ethernet on one side anf the switch serial port on the other and you can telnet to your switch. Essentially a little one port terminal server.

I decided to try SecureCRT out on my 81C.

Which login does it want when you choose to create the rlogin and which pass is it asking for once you establish the connection?

I tried my admin2 as login and my admin2 pass but didnt work. I have my admin1 pass somewhere i just need to dig it out from who knows where in my desk.

Ryan

The question was he doesn't want to use dial in, he wants to use IP.

i use procomm telnet with lantronics serial interface, or is that is not on the remote box i just use the dos telnet to the ip of the switch, you need the crtl pdt password for that.

john poole
bellsouth business
columbia,sc

Future... In the connection setup on CRT, put CPSID in the username field. Then wants the session connects to the PBX, you then use your level 1 or 2 username and password.

As mentioned, CRT is a great inexpensive program using the Rlogin protocol and you don't need to setup any telnet servers to use it.

In additon, a programm called ZOC by Emtec.com is pretty good to and is under $100.00 its scripting is fairly simple and its easy to modify your existing Procomm scripts. I just haven't figure out the dialog boxes all that well.

Sweet!

Thanks webtensive and Mjamm

Both ways worked. I am going to use Mjamms way though because it requires less interaction to get logged in. :)

I hate OTM. I never used it until recently and we got the latest version and I think its absolutely horrible. I am sticking with all console commands.

Ryan

I use SM Telnet & here is part of my document on it.

How to use Telnet to access a Meridian 1 system

First you need a client that supports RLOGIN.
You cannot TELNET to connect to the ethernet port.
Some clients that I know will work are Reflections, Exceed, ProComm Plus,
as well as some free RLOGIN clients you can download from the internet.

One program that works is called SM Telnet
(Web site = & the program fits onto a floppy disk. It’s an unregistered copy which allows you up to 15 minutes online, each time until you have it registered on the owners website.

You need to connect via RLOGIN directly to the Meridian PBX ip address
For this you need to build a pseudo TTY (PTY in ADAN on a empty DNUM)
e.g.

ADAN TTY 14
TTY_TYPE PTY
PORT 1 (0 to 3 for Opt11)
DES remote
FLOW NO
USER MTC SCH BUG
TTYLOG 0
BANR NO

The RLOGIN command in UNIX to get in is as follows:

rlogin -l CPSID0000 ip.addr.of.pbx

You can change the CPSIDxxxx as follows:

CPSID1000 is with MTC on the port
CPSID0100 is with SCH on the port
CPSID0010 is with BUG on the port
CPSID0001 is with TRF on the port

See the sigifigance of the '1'??

You can combine these,
CPSID1110 is with MTC,SCH & BUG, but no traffic
CPSID0011 is BUG and TRF but no MTC or SCH.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If you've got a signalling server, you can always telnet to and log into the signalling server, then type cslogin. You can then log into the PBX as you would through a TTY.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back