Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Teleworker audio choppy and robotic

Status
Not open for further replies.

alex053

Technical User
Aug 24, 2009
US
Im getting complaints from a customer that some of the teleworker phones have choppy and robotic audio. to test i called their main number, got the AA, dialed the TW extension and was able to hear the user very clearly but my audio going to the user had terrible sound quality.

There is also a vSRC involved here but but the phones that work fine as well as the problem phones are all registered to the same SRC. they are all registered to the same controllwer as well and are all the same set type.

the only difference i found was the registration type in the IP Telephone Inventory. one of the problem phones was registered via failover and the others were registered via startup.

the working and non working phones are all over the country and are using different ISP's

since the problem started yesterday, we have rebooted the server and upgraded it as well.

I have added all the local networks as well. im out of ideas on this one.

TW Software
Mitel Standard Linux 9.4.28.0

3300 Software
4.2 SP2 PR1

This is almost certain to be a Bandwidth issue, the big question is, are all the remote workers at the same site or at different sites? If they're at different sites and they all having problems then its almost certainly a bandwidth issue at the main office site, if they're all at one remote site then it still could be and bandwidth issue at the main site or more likely to be an issue with the bandwidth at the remote site.

The MBG Server has an Analyser which you can download and check Bandwidth settings etc by putting the Analyser software on a PC and point the Analyser at your MBG Public address. If you do that from a remote site with no Bandwidth issues then that will prove that the main office is ok or suspect.

You really need to determine whether the problem is a the remote site or the main site before delving any further.

!ExtraDunce

I would agree with Stevey unless those sites experiecing problems are consistently the same ones having trouble and those not having trouble are also consistently not having trouble. In other words, is the problem moving around and more or less affecting all of your TW users at one time or another, or is it mostly the same locations consistently having trouble while others arent?

It may be time to begin examining your internet traffic & re-visit personal use policies. In our experience you only have to fire one person for everyone to get the message.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

The remote users are all at different users houses with different internet carriers and the problem seems to be independent of usage but instead on a per user basis.

The main office is at Colo and we have never had any bandwidth issues in the past but i will use the analyzer right now.

I was going to suggest that if you did not have an analyzer available that you could go out to visualware dot com and download a 15-day free trial of "MyConnectionPC Business Edition" and run some VOIP tests with it. Even if you wind up buying it, it's a pretty nice internet connection quality measuring yardstick for not much money.

That same utility can also be run from user's homes to provide them with some eye-opening revelations on their internet connection quality (or perhaps lack thereof). There's also a totally free version for personal use, though it lacks the ability to check VOIP quality.

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

i ran the TNA from my PC at my office and below are my results:

outsidenetworktest.jpg

we enabled compression and it didtn get any better. I have also verifyed that its a 10mb blended circuit coming into a data center.

also from a TW set to a non TW set, the audio issue is the same.

these are all 5320s and 5330 phones.

gave up for the day after having TS help us

So the issue is incoming audio to TW sets is choppy? TW set to internal set has the same issue that the audio to the TW is choppy? How is audio IP set to IP set and outside caller to IP set? Also how are calls coming into the system ( SIP, PRI or analog )?

I'd tell you a UDP joke but I'm afraid you won't get it. TCP jokes are the best because you always get them.

correct. the teleworker agent hears choppy audio.

Teleworker dialing to internal set, the TW hears choppy audio but the other set hears audio fine

When calling from the outside to the TW, via sip trunks, the TW hears bad audio and the outside caller hears audio fine.

So... Upload rate, looks like (From 3300 to outside world). Don't they have a firewall at the main office that can monitor downstream/upstream rate to the internet?

Have you open a ticket with the support guys?, they will probably ask you for the MBG logs.

There is no firewall between the TW and the internet on the wan side.

i have opened a ticket and after a few hours with them, we are no better off.

i also just made a TW phone at my desk here to do some testing with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back