Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telephony Services not working 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawks

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2002
US
I had a couple of customers with BCM 400's call me and tell me that for whatever reason they could not access Telephony Services though the PC. When they clicked on it they would get the hour glass but it would not open up the the drop down list. After they tried a couple of times they just rebooted the system and when it came back up it worked. They were asking what wcould cause this and so I'm posting here to see if anyone has run into that. One system was 3.6 and the other 3.7 both had all patches on them and has been running with no problems for 2 and 3 years.
Also I've heard that it may not be good for the system if you do any Telset Based programming on the older 400's. Does anyone know this to be true.

Telset based is unsupported before 4.0

If you didn't mention that a reboot cleared the issue, I would have said JAVA version. Are the MSC's they hardened type?

More then likly it's the BFT (Base Function Tray) they would have the green capacitors and you may see a gray paste leaking out or they may be bulging at the tops.

If you don't have a Vendor, you can goto

If it was bad BFTs the customer probably couldn't log into the system at all. I would have thought a Java version conflict as well.

If I remember correctly, wasn't there a MSC driver patch or something along those lines that addressed a similar issue? I haven't done much with 3.X in the past couple months, I've forgotten a lot of the patch stuff.

were you able to get any resolution to this problem?
Our BCM200 3.7 is having the same issue.

Let me know how you made out.

once in awhile, a reboot helps but then it goes right back to doing it again.

I would suspect a memory leak of some sort. Can you list the patches that are applied?

Sounds exactly like a bad BFT. I have had the same symptoms on 200s and 400s.

NARSBARS

I should be receiving one of the units today I'll let you know what I find out.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you could log in to the management interface, but when you click the Telephony node, it won't expand. Other nodes will expand, however. Right?

We've seen this on some 3.6/3.7 systems where the Java VM has been upgraded to the latest version 6. Seems that VM is incompatible with the BCM's applet for management somehow.

You should be able to remove the latest version by using Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. That should take you back to a 5.x version if you had it installed previously. If not, or if you need to manually download an older version, go to and under the "Java 2 Platform Standard Edition (J2SE)" section, select "JDK/JRE 5.0 Update 10" -- that version seems to work just fine. Then watch out so Java doesn't update itself automatically to the 6.x version again.

Hopefully Nortel will release a patch to 3.6/3.7 so that it will work with Java 6.x.

Did not get the unit yet but thanks that's some good info to know.

I just discovered that I am having the same problem.....This is a new 3.7 BCM, installed about 6 months ago. I checked the Java version, 1.2.2

???

Ok just found out that the unit I was waiting on is in the lab and fired up with no problems. They can get into Telephony Services ok. This was the 3.7 unit the 3.6 came back after a re-boot at site.

I have experienced the conflict with Java and resolved it, however, I am getting an "error dialog" message that states "Telephony programming is not available. A connection to the MSC has not been established. Please try again later." when I try to open telephony services. Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Telset based is supported on versions prior to 400. feature **system instead of feature ** config.

Telset based admin functions, but is not SUPPORTED. There are known issues where the information is not correctly written to the MSC. ITAS will know in the archlogs what was telset entered versus what was entered in Unified Manager.

I don't know the exact cause of this error but instead of rebooting the system all you need do is goto Dianostics/Services Manager. Find VoiceManagerSubsystem & restart the service. Takes 30 sec versus approx 8 minutes for a reboot.
I have seen this problem over the last 3 years on systems 3.6 & 3.7.

I beleieve is the Java . if want to solve the probelem pls unistall the new java nad install the old java.

I had the same problem on our BCM400 3.7 - a recent upgrade to Java on the computer used to access the system was the culprit. We rolled back the Java to the previous version, and had access to the expanded menus once again.

I have had the same problem with the telephony svc not expanding and it did end up being the Java version. However we also had the MSC card connection problem and had to do a platform initialization.

"Its just dial-tone. At the end of the day everyone usually gets to go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back