Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

telephone not ringing out

Status
Not open for further replies.

eti232027

Vendor
Jul 14, 2014
NG
i just installed alarm panel in a large residential estate, i used the pabx extentions of the houses to communicate with the cms, i noticed that when the alarm panel is connected the telephone line will not ring out.i check the out voltage it was low, this was due to distance. Is there any device I can use to improve the voltage on the lines to make the phones ring out?.

If I may, have the client order a dedicated POTs line from their carrier.....problem solved!

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

Why would the POTs line need to interface with the phone system?

Always look out for the next tech. because one day it will be you!

it is all a pbx set up all we need is for the handset to ring when a call is place.

Once again I will ask, did it ring before you installed the alarm panel and where in the world are you?

Yes Ozzie, it rings anytime the panel is not connected to it. Am in Nigeria

What happens if you connect alarm panel directly to the phone line and call that number? Does it answer immediately, or possibly ring busy? If you have a test phone (buttset), will it dial out and ring in with just the test phone and panel connected to the phone line? Basically I'm trying to eliminate the PBX from the equation and confirm OzzieGeorge's statement that the panel is faulty.

Thanks jknichols, if I connect the alarm directly to the phone line and call it will answer only I will not hear it ring out. it can receive call and call out only ringing out is the challenge.

Sounds to me like there is a capacitance fault and the ring current is being shunted to earth. Either that or there is a separate bell circuit and the panel is breaking that circuit somehow, I'm not aware of the type of circuit used in Nigeria.

Move a phone to where your panel connects and see if it still rings, that will tell you if connecting something there is causing the problem.

I have no hands-on experience in Nigeria, but if it follows some of the older BT conventions, then I think there may be a master jack acting as a demarc and in that jack is a shunt resistor (like 470kΩ) to busy the line if no sets are connected and a 1.8 µF capacitor which allows for the ring circuit to function. All internal sets (or the connection to the analog lines of the PBX) would then route out of the master jack. If your alarm panel uses anything like a RJ31x or similar connection, you may be bypassing the capacitor in the main jack with the panel connections, and then passing the phone circuit along with only the (roughly) 48vdc talk voltage. I admit I am not familiar with this setup and am out rather far on a limb with this, but I recall reading that if the master jack capacitor is absent from the circuit or damaged, the phone will not ring, but you will have voice path.

My suggestion would be to see if you have a BT style mater jack with a resistor and capacitor in it and if so, then determine exactly when in the incoming lines the alarm panel connections interrupt the leads and where exactly in the path is your PBX connecting to those leads. Also, if anyone has been working with trial and error, and you do have the capacitor master jack, it may have been shorted and you may need to replace the capacitor and or master jack assembly.

I admit this is a bit of a stretch, but given the number of other things you have tried, I figured I would offer this as a thought.

Here is a link to a schematic for the master jack I am thinking of.

Alarm systems (at least here in the US) have a built-in bypass that will seize the line if the alarm is activated if there are other devices using the same phone line. You'd connect the alarm panel to the phone line input where it enters the premises, then anything else sharing that line would be connected to the phone line output. So could be a faulty panel.

Hello all have been able to resolve it with ring booster2 with grounded earthen from sandman.com. Many thanks to all of you for your contribution I really gain a lot. Tek-tips is such a nice site that I have recommended to many of my friends now for solutions.

Sounds good - got a customer with a similar issue... told him to either get the same voltage booster you found on Mike Sandman's website, or put it on a POTS line. Alarm panels never should be through a PBX in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back