Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telecom Room Backboards and Users Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dexman

Technical User
Jun 15, 2004
US
Some of the pictures posted here and on other Telecom Tech help sites started me thinking (Not always a good thing [wink])...As telecom equipment installers, no matter if it is a traditional pbx or the latest VoIP/hybrid system, one would strive to do a clean/neat looking installation...as well we should.

This goes without saying. A well labeled & documented installation not only shows pride in ones work, but, also aids in helping to track down wiring troubles that may arise at some point down the line.

But does the average user really care? Seems to me, that most people in a business don't give a moment's thought if wires and cables are neatly layed out, tie wrapped and secured,...or...if the wire and cables zig-zag all over the place. Most people would say, as long as I can make & receive calls and have a properly functioning computer, I could care less what the telephone room looks like.

What has been the observations of others as you go about wiring and installing systems? Does it seem as though the PoC is only person who may seem to have any interest in how neat an installation looks, or, might other workers share in the concern?

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

I've been in the Telecom trade for 20 plus years and I learned from some very good techs. I was taught from Day 1 to do things neatly. There is absolutely no need for sloppy work. It does not require that much effort to do things right the first time and will save so much in the long run.
You are correct, the average user doesn't care if it's neat or not because they don't see the "Phone Room" on a regular basis. But I see it and other techs see it so it's important for me to do good work. In the customers defense, they don't need to understand what all the wires do they just need to have confidence in the installers ability to make it function properly.

After starting in the industry with an interconnect rather than the incumbent carrier monopoly, we took a lot of unwarranted criticism. Some interconnects didn't help but natural selection usually weeds them out.

I'd been out of installation and in management for many years when I did the CAT 5e cabling, jacking and terminations for a friend's business. When the Local Exchange Carrier arrived to connect up the high speed DSL circuit and router, he asked who did the installation. When asked why, he complimented my work highly, was able to complete work in minutes. My friend is also my Karate sensei...Can you say hematoma?

Doing quality work is for yourself; you still have a reflection in the mirror and just maybe for the poor slob that has to come in later and try and figure out just "what the..." you were thinking. Some customers don't know which is the phone system and which is the water heater. They only know when it doesn't work.

KE407122

"The phone was working fine before it knocked over my coffee.

I worked for an IXC/CLEC for a little over 23 years before being laid off last year. During that time, I installed switched access dialers, D4 channel banks, CSUs and routers. I must say that I saw the gaumet from neat work to "Where the heck is the Bell demarc in all of this mess?".

I would say that a neat installation takes a bit more time than one that is less so. Getting cables cut to the exact length, positioned properly, secured and terminated can be somewhat time intensive.

The downside is that, even if an installation looks textbook perfect, there is no promise that the person(s) who follow(s) will take the same care with what they do, thus negating the first person's work.

Clear labeling, tagging and documenting goes a long way too! [bigsmile]

I [love2] "FEATURE 00"

PS...Most telecom installation, service and equipment providers doubt the educated customer despite any amount of evidence, experience and certification to the contrary. I've made my living for 25 years by being the 'educated' customer.

KE407122

"The phone was working fine before it knocked over my coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back