Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Telcos using Octel Messaging for Subscriber Voice Mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcomp11

Technical User
Oct 5, 2003
CA
Hi,

I would like some information as to how exactly telcos implement Octel message servers for use with the public telephone network. Both my local (Bell Canada) and mobile (Bell Mobility) providers use Octel for Voicemail. I think they run different software versions because the voice of the prompts is different.

Also, on my voicemail from Bell Canada, in the personal options menu, the system prompts to press 9 to create extension mailboxes. I have looked on Avaya's site, and cannot see this feature documented anywhere. Does anyone have any information about this feature?

This is what the prompts on the mobile phone voicemail sound like
And this is the landline prompts
Any help would be appreciated.

As I understand it, when Lucent spun off Avaya, they broke off the central office messaging from the Avaya Aria and the rest part of Octel. So to look on Avayas' site would probabaly not be the place to go. I would think that Lucent would have some explanation on the central office Octel products.
I will look at Lucent site later and see if I see anything/

Yes you are right the base software is the same in all octels they just turn on features in the C.O. based systems and have diff prompts for the features you may not beable to get the doc's on Lucents web page unless you are a dealer

Thanks. If you do find any other information, please post it.

Also, does the fact that both systems use a different "voice" for the prompts have anything to do with the software version?

yes it does as they had to rerecord the prompts for new features

Just what is it you are looking for ? we have hard copy but i don't think we have it ibn soft ??

Just what is it you are looking for ?"

I'm just curious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back