Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tektonix Phaser 740 transfer kit error 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeater

Instructor
Aug 23, 2001
US
At My office, our Tektronix Phaser 740 is consistently our of order due to an error in the transfer kit. I have been resetting the transfer roll within the kit but to increasing shorter term relief. I was wondering if any one has soom information concerning this particular problem. thanks

Sorry for posting an semi-unrelated issue but this thread gets the most activity and I used it in the past to solve the 'clutch' problem.

I own a Phaser 740 with a new Fuser (98%). In removing paper jammed in the fuser, I accidentally created a small tear in the film of the top roller (not the fuser roll). Does anyone know if that film is available; or, the roller? I hate to buy another fuser for such a minor problem.

Thanks in advance.

Hey, this is an excellent thread. Great info on how we don't have to drop unneeded funds to keep these 740s going.

One question, though - any chance that someone could be kind enough to post pictures? Links to step by step pictures would be most excellent. (I've got one I'd like to check out and I have a manual on order, but I'd like to take care of it sooner rather than later.) So if any of you are feeling kind, please feel free to post pictures for the benefit of all.

This thread relates exactly to the Phaser 560 as well. I just finished fixing mine after reading this. Thanks to all who have posted. All descriptions of parts and placement are the same. As you are looking at the transfer kit from the back of the printer, the clutch in question is on the far left with a 3/4" tab protruding from it. Take it apart, clean and grease it and it works great.

Being ever so grateful for a free and quick fix, I posted some pictures identifying the part in question:

Thanks all!

I got one of these printers used, passed 30 pages through it, and it started getting the "Transfer Kit Error". Status said it still had 80% life left. Three local repair shops insisted that I needed a new transfer kit and maybe a new paper feed.

After reading through, I cleaned everything out, lubed the cams and cogs, and replaced the magnetic clutch, and for less than $30, what do you know... it works like a brand new printer.

Thanks for all the posts.

"I am never wrong, just better educated

After following cleaning tips no longer get transfer kit error. However I now get paper jam at "A". I suspect it is a timinig issue. I did not realize it at the time but when I reassmbeled, the e-clamp was bent allowing the clutch to back out of the gear train. Does anyone have a procedure for checking/setting the timing.

I have a new tranfer kit and also a used paper feed (the whole unit) that is almost new for the pahser 740 in case you need it

Much thanks to multimediaWizard's pics. My Phaser 560 is working again. $2 can of WD-40 did the job.... btw these printers are soooo much better than a laserjet 4550 when they work...

Comment from another satisfied forum reader... Phaser 740, getting repeated jams and "error 33".

Cleaned and lubricated the clutch, now it works great!

Thanks to everyone in this thread who posted all the useful info. You folks rock!

hi,
i don't have the same luck as you ! i have "jam in a" and "error 33 transfer kit" too. i removed the plastic clutch at the left of the transfer kit, cleaned and lubricated with wd40, but it does not work to. do you tink it could be the magnetic clutch or the electric board ?
thanks for help me.
frederic
(france)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back