Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tektonix Phaser 740 transfer kit error 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeater

Instructor
Aug 23, 2001
US
At My office, our Tektronix Phaser 740 is consistently our of order due to an error in the transfer kit. I have been resetting the transfer roll within the kit but to increasing shorter term relief. I was wondering if any one has soom information concerning this particular problem. thanks

Does any one know where I can get a service manual for the 740. I just got one and it was damaged in trasport. The frame is bent and before I take it apart It would helpful to have a service manual.

-M

Thank you for your help. Ordered the part today from Total
laser care. Very helpful.

Someone needed infor on a service manual

I chose not to buy but I did go to ebay and brought Auction Title: My Tektronix Phaser 560/740/750 PAPER JAM FIX Jim's
fix it. Sounds real good.

Happy New Year

740 Tektronix "Jam A Error 33"
Thank you for your help. Ordered the part today from Total
laser care. Very helpful.

Someone needed infor on a service manual

I chose not to buy but I did go to ebay and brought Auction Title: My Tektronix Phaser 560/740/750 PAPER JAM FIX Jim's
fix it. Sounds real good.

Happy New Year

Thank you Netadministrator and all who posted! The new 'Clutch: Second transfer roller' did the job for me.

I bought the clutch from Total Laser Care (as above) and received the part in two days.

I 'pruned' Netadministrators instructions. It was not necessary for me to completely remove the circuit board. The circuit board had three screws and only the right-most screw held the board to the assembly. There were a few wire harness connections to the board which I chose not to detach. With the circuit board hanging loosely, I was able to remove the clutch by removing the e-clamp and sliding the clutch off the post. Reverse instructions to put it back together.

I'm certified through Xerox to fix the 740 and they have actually released a technote about that clutch failing. That should usually fix any error 33. Also make sure to clean all the toner out of the paper feed assembly. I have found that can solve some problems to.

500 thanks (one for each of the $ that I didn't spend on a new paper feeder assembly) to Netadministrator and JustADude and all who posted about this subject. I started coming up with error 33 messages and paper jams galore.

Xerox prescribed replacing the paper feeder ($540) but didn't like the sound of that. I came across this thread and TADAO! ... my printer is now running smoothly.

I went with JustADude's procedure for getting the part installed. You just need a Phillips screwdriver and a smaller (precision) screwdriver to help get the E-clamp (I'd never seen one before) off. Otherwise, a piece of cake!

Brian at Total Laser Care was quick in replying and processing my order. Shipping was via UPS ground (took a little longer than i thought to get to CA) - i'd suggest asking and paying for 2-day UPS/FedEx instead.

By far the best $25 i've spent in a LONG time.

Another success story for the "second transfer roller". It worked great! Thanks to all.

I've been away for the last 2 months, its great to see everyone having success with this. You would think Xerox would post info about the magnetic clutch on their site since this seems to be such a common problem.

I have since retired my 740 and had it bought back when I purchased a phaser 6200.

Good luck to everyone with the 740's!

SD

This is another Phaser 740 Error 33 success story. Thanks to SoundDoctor and others for helping me save $500 and get back to color printing! Brian Lewis at Total Laser Care got me the part right away, and installation was easy.

Hi, I have the same problem with my phaser 740. After I replace the paper feeder, it works fine for 2 weeks then now I got the Jam at A error everytime I print. Does anybody have the same problem?

There is a lot of helpful info regarding the transfer kit error 33 on this site.

It appears the achiles heel of the 740 is a mechanical clutch assembly that dries out. This clutch is available from Total Laser Care in Georgia for $25. The part number is 116-0993-00.

The clutch lubricant dries out and fails to operate the flag which signals the printer that the paper is in the proper position for transfer. As a result the printer stops with a transfer kit error 33. The paper feed mechanism works but the signaling mechanism is failing. The fact that the frequency of the error increases over time is consistent with a mechanical failure such as this clutch drying out.

Note there is also a magnetic clutch which plugs into the circuit card running the paper feed mechanisms. This clutch is not available from Xerox, and is rarely the cause of the problem.

According to Total Laser Care 98 out of 100 customers have fixed their transfer kit error with a new $25 mechanical clutch.

I also had a problem with the mechanical clutch. It sits on the most left shaft seen from the circuit board.
I took it apart, cleaned and greased it with WD40 and now it works 100%.
There was one problem: I took the circuit board off. While pulling out the white wire connector (4 wires) one of the pins on the circuit board came loose. So be careful.

Hey all thanks for the Info. I had the same problem. What I found was that same clutch can be pulled apart and re lubed. You can feel it working again before you even reinstall it. I have not had the error since.

I want to say the same as many others: THANK YOU!

I was told by the local Xerox-dealer that I had to get a new paper feeder for $540. The guy I talked with even insisted that I should spend another (approx) $400 on a technician, as they were not quite sure the change of the feeder would work (my boss didn't look too happy either). After ordering the Second Transfer Roller I nearly exploded, when I discovered that the STR are a part of the feeder...

I have now made the Xerox-tech dude aware of this solution, in case he might meet the problem again.

Thank you again:)

THANK YOU, everyone, who posted their experiences with the Tektronix 740 Error 33 paper jam nightmare. I was having a "paper jam" every single time I printed from either tray.

As suggested, I opened the left side door and slid out the paper tray assembly. In my excitement over possibily having found a fix to this aggravating problem, I removed the "silver (metal) 'magnetic clutch'" on the right side of the tray assembly (standing behind the 740 facing the circuit board in front of you) which has wires plugging into the circuit board. This clutch is NOT the culprit [this 'good' clutch has a label on it with the words MAGNETIC CLUTCH].

Reviewing the posts a second time revealed the problem "clutch" IS toward the left. It is black, plastic, with a 1/2" prong that sticks out which almost touches the far left side of the tray assembly circuit board.

IT WORKS TO:
carefully remove black plastic cluch\ gently take it apart being careful not to damage or bend the wire coil (spring) inside\ clean out the old gunky, dried-out grease (especially on the spring!)\ apply WD40\ reassemble clutch\ put 740 back together\ ENJOY being able to print again.

I suspect a lightweight grease might work better than WD40 over the long-run, but WD40 does work. It would be a good idea to order a replacement clutch from Total Laser Care (just in case).

thanks a million to everyone who posted their experiences with phaser 740 error 33. i started having this problem few days ago. i tried to clean and check everything but could not understand the reason for jam. then i went to search this error on internet and found this forum.
this clutch is installed on the left edge of the second metal roller in the feed assembly. just remove one screw which is on the circuit board facing that clutch and by bending the circuit board you can remove this clutch. i removed that black plastic clutch, separated all parts and washed it with gas (gas from my lawnmower), then applied a grease on the spring and inside of the clutch. installed it back and it is working like a new one again. it saved me stress and of course money. spent only three dollars to buy the grease.

Cleaning the black plastic clutch fixed my problems.

Printer is working perfect again.

Just wanted to say -THANK YOU- = ] to everyone that posted info on clutch repair/replacement. I kept getting the same chronic symptoms, jams, 33 error, etc. Figured I would give a little more detail on how I went about my fix for the benefit of other would-be DIY guys/gals:

Took the left side black cover off from around the circuit board(one screw towards the rear and 3 plastic tabs holding it on)

Removed 2 screws that held the circuit board on.

Gently unplugged the 4 connectors from the circuit board.

Tried a drop of oil to the spindle on the magnetic clutch, greasing all the gears, etc. and put it back together

No luck =[

After taking the board etc off again I examined both mechanical clutches and found the one towards the back(closest to the plastic housing screw)was somewhat stiff.

Clutch had a C Clip holding it on. Took some needlenose pliers and a small flathead screwdriver to take it off.

Gently removed the clutch being careful not to take the gear off with it. Looked inside and sure enough, the grease was like TAR.

Took it apart(just 3 pieces: inner housing, spring and casing)An old toothbrush and WD40 did the trick to clean it all out. I picked up some white lithium grease from an autoparts store and put a modest amount inside all around the spring.

Reassembled everything and BadaBING BadaBOOM - SUCCESS No more jams or error33!

I have an "error 33" problem with a Phaser 560.

I wonder if the same precedures outlined in this forum
for the Phaser 740 will apply for the phaser 560,
in particular what was said about the clutch.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back