Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tektonix Phaser 740 transfer kit error 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeater

Instructor
Aug 23, 2001
US
At My office, our Tektronix Phaser 740 is consistently our of order due to an error in the transfer kit. I have been resetting the transfer roll within the kit but to increasing shorter term relief. I was wondering if any one has soom information concerning this particular problem. thanks

If resetting the transfer kit doesn't work you will probably have to install a new transfer kit. You can call the Tektronix help desk for any other suggestions. Good luck!

Changing the Paper Feed Assembly, in which the transfer kit roller rests, does not help. Running the cleaning pad inside the upper tray has extended the intervals at which this happens.

I had the same issue. I could reset it and it would take care of it for a day or two... I ordered a new transfer kit from ingram and all seems well. I have cycled the power a few times to check it. The kit ran about $40. It's the cheapest thing to try. I know I am one happy camper right now...

Incidentally... the original kit was a type Y... the new one is a type X.

Good luck!

experienced similar, vexing problem - "error 33". ordered new kit, installed it per instructions, THERE IS NO IMPROVEMENT WHATSOEVER. Ideas??

The fault on the error 33 is usually caused by the failure of the magnetic paper clutch in the transfer tray. Tektronix wants you to replace the whole assembly for $350 (for one stupid part) You can get addition service by taking sandpaper and ruffing the two plates in the clutch. This allow the plates to grip each others when the clutch windings are emergized. If someone with a service manual could find a cross-reference or source for the magnetic paper clutch that would be super.

I was having the same issue with my 740. What I found was that there are two plastic cams that create the pressure for the transfer roller. They are underneath the access door you open to remove the transfer roller. There is one on either side of the tray. These simply needed lubrication. Put a little bit of grease between the plastic cam and the metal piece that sit on top of them. End of problem. I hope this helps someone else out there. I have found no lubrication schedule in any of my documentation. Anyone else?

Same thing here, 740, goes off on transfer kit every 2 pages... I've changed the transfer kit, lubbed the cams, cleaned the rollers, and roughed up the magnetic clutch. I still think the mag clutch is at fault here though, as I can power it external, and there isn't much grip here, but it is better than it was. It won't pull from the lower tray without jamming, but it will from the bypass now without jamming.
My local Tek shop does have the mag clutches in stock, so I'm off to get one, and I'll let everyone know what happens....

SoundDoc

Ok, Its been a bit crazy and I finally got back to the printer.

The new cluch cost me $54.00cdn from my textronix/xerox local dealer and immediatly solved the problem 100%

He said that when he has seen the transfer kit error constantly, it is always the magnetic clutch at fault. It IS NOT the solinoid magnetic clutches that are on the PC board, its the magnetic clutch that plug into the board thats mounted on the paper roller shaft.

Mines working great now, hope this helps!

You've described the problem I'm having perfectly.
Do you have the part number of the magnetic clutch?

Sorry, I don't have the P/N Its clearly written on the side of the cluch though. From the front of the machine with the left side open and the transfer assembly pulled out, if you look at the rubber roller and metal roller to the left of the transfer kit roller, the Mag Clutch is on their shaft. It is clarly visable, and the plug that it plugs into the board is right beside it. Hope this helps! if you can't get it, let me know and I'll pull mine apart again.

I had the same symptoms. Xerox email support told me to buy a new paper feed assembly. The paper feed assembly is Xerox part# 118-9895-03. It lists at $540 on the Xerox web site. Fortunately for me, Xerox was out of stock when I tried to order it on Friday.

Having the rest of the weekend to contemplate this situation, I decided to try a liberal application of WD-40 to what looked like the appropriate areas of the paper feed assembly. (I saw someone else's suggestion regarding this in another thread.) It worked! At least for now, the printer is functioning normally. Before you buy a new paper feed assembly, you might as well give the WD-40 a try. Just keep it away from the paper path so it doesn't trash your imaging unit.

Sorry I didn't see this before, I've been away.

The local supplier that came up with the part was:

Warwood Office Equipment ltd.
Edmonton Alberta Canada

Please let me know if you need any more info.

SD

I had the same problem and installed a new Clutch, Second Transfer Roller - Part Number 116-0993-00 and the problem was solved. The part cost me $26.75. I purchased the part from:

Brian Lewis
Vice President/Service Manager
Total Laser Care, Inc.
770-449-8400
770-449-0038 Fax
blewis@totallasercare.com

You will have to remove the paper feed assembly first. Then remove the black plastic cover over the circuit board by removing the screw on the right side. Then remove the two screws on the right side of the circuit board. Leave to screw on the left side in place. Take note of the positioning of the parts within the assembly before removing the circuit board. They will need to line up the same way to reinstall the board. This will allow you enough room to slide the clutch off of the steel roller after removing the E Clamp on the end of the clutch. The Clutch, Second Transfer Roller is the black plastic roller on the far left side of the assembly looking at it from the circuit board side.

Thanks SoundDocotor and Netadministrator. The warwood guys never replied back to my email, so hopefully I will have more luck with the Total Laser Care folks. I will let you know if I ever get the parts and get it fixed. Thanks again.

OH MY GOD !
i had a 740 standin around for half a year cause i got this error, and xerox only offered me to send a technican for over 300 USD and/or that whole feeder for more than $600 !!

funny enough mine started giving this error after 14 months and barely 1800 pages !

now, ive read this and dug a bit deeper. seems it really was that little plastic clutch. it has a spring in it, which lets the clutch slip-rotate only in one way and blocks the other.
the oil or whatever they put in there has turned into a grey/greenish goe. if its the same at yours id say this is totally xerox responsability!
i cleaned it and oiled it again. now its running like a dream again ! thank you all for those hints.

Thank you Netadministrator as your solution solved the problem. It is not the magnetic clutch. It is part number 116-0993-00 that is the culprit (part description says clutch: second transfer roller). I called Brian Lewis at Total Laser Care and he informed me that Tektronix has released a paper about this part being the cause for the transfer kit 33 error. The part was $25.00 plus actual shipping (he doesn't charge a handling fee). A far car from the whole paper feed assembly that the local shop here wanted to order for me from Tektonix. My printer works perfectly now.

Great news Holdout. Now start printing those Christmas cards!!! Only three days 'till Christmas.

Happy Holidays

Thanks Netadministrator. I had the transfer kit error, and ordered a replacement clutch from Total Laser Care ($30 shipped). The install went smoothly and now my printer is working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back