Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tek 850 Paper Jam on exit 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacardi412

Technical User
Jan 21, 2004
US
I'm not exactly sure what to replace on this Tek 850. I have thought about the "Purge" clutch, exit roller, and lower exit guide. Can anyone else help me with this?
Thanks

Bacardi, I have had my hands on a few Phaser 850's and the biggest thing I have found is the solenoids stick due to the quiet pad Tektronix/Xerox uses. You can try to scrape the pad off and thoroughly clean any residue off the contact so it does not stick or you can replace the solenoid. Now only due this if the solenoid does not catch the cam when it should. You should notice on the right hand side of the printer by the exit assembly the cam is white and if it is not caught by the solenoid, then there lay your problem. You could be experiencing a gear drive assembly but only if you notice the exit rollers are not spinning when the paper should be coming out. There could be variable other problems causing this, but look at those 2 first since they happen to be frequent problems I have noticed. I am currently having the same problem, but only because we are using "Clean Room" paper and it makes it harder for the rollers to grab the paper and push it out. I will get it figured out though.

Hope this helps.

Thanks w8ting for responding and echoing my assumptions. I really like these machines--[when they are working] :)

Thanks for the help!

I replaced the Exit (Purge) clutch and exit rollers and the machine is working fine now. Thanks for the help and hope this helps others!

Hello!

I was just wonder where the purge clutch is because I have a similar problem. I have a Phaser 850, and this thing prints one page perfectly, but the second is jammed right when it is about to come out. About half way. Then it goes inside about 1/3 of the way and stops saying there is a paper jam.

I this problem similar, could someone help me on it.

Thanks
Shafqat Shah

Take the right side cover off the printer ( as you are looking at the printer ) and you will notice a white 3 notched clutch wheel with a solenoid near it. The solenoid is called a Transfix solenoid and they have a high rate of failure due to their noise reduction pad. Everything is located on the right hand side near the exit assembly. I hope this helps.

Hey, I've noticed a lot of people having a problem with these things jamming on exit. I did replace the "Purge" clutch and things got a little better. Then it just started jamming everywhere. I took this thing apart and finally noticed that the "Preheater exit sensor" was damaged loose and was moving around so it failed whenever it moved. Maybe you can try looking for that sensor and see if it cracked or broke. That could be a possibility. Thank you to all who answered and helped me on this endeavor---and yes..it was an endeavor.

Where can I get spare parts for the Phaser 840?

My 840 jams on exit also similar as above. The solenoid turns, but I don't know if it's working correctly.

I posted a request for help on another thread but could not get any help.

Have you looked on eBay? I wish I could help you but the company I work for has a supplier we use for our parts. I am not sure where they get their parts from. I would say eBay is your best chance.

I was having this problem on my 3 year old Phaser 850 as well. Started jamming on exit, with no visible obstructions. Then started jamming on the high capacity tray.

I read the posts about using small cable ties to repair the maintenance tray lift arms. This helped a little, but within a few days, my printer started making horrible banging noises, shuddering and other not healthy noises for a printer.

Correctly assuming that the cable ties were obstructing free movement of the lift arms, I removed them (the cable ties).

I then grabbed a small tube of JBWeld, and carefully added just enough to fill in the worn areas on the maintenance tray lift arms.

After curing, (24 hours) I used an emery board to carefully file down any excess JBWeld on the sides, top and bottom of the lift tabs. Carefully reforming the original bottom straight edge of the lift tabs.

Still had the same problem. Banging, bad noises ect.

It would print fine in full duplex, or if I was printing a presentation that had a significant pause between printing pages. But it was still LOUD.

So, I pulled out the maintenance drawer for the 32nd time and reached inside the cavity to run my fingers across the two lift arms. Sure enough, a nasty little plastic burr, was catching the lift arms and causing enough delay to give the printer fits.

After carefully knocking the burrs down, I used a q-tip to rub a small amout of silicon lubricant on both the lift arms and maintenance tray lift tabs.

This seems to have done the trick.

Bottom line? DO NOT USE CABLE TIES TO REPAIR A PHASER 850 WITH WORN LIFT TABS! They will kill your printer if you are not careful.

The cable ties add additional material on the top of the lift tabs, which bangs up against the stop, prematurely, and before you know it. big trouble.

If you do attempt to repair these lift tabs, I would recommend the JB Weld process above, or getting some shrink wrap tubing of the appropriate size, and only cover the actual worn area, shrink it down, and be sure to lightly lube mating surfaces with a little silicon.(Shrink tubing is about 1/5 the thickness of a cable tie.)

The Silicon lubricant is a very important final step.

Hope this helps save someone a service call.

Cheers,

Scott

I've been through a bunch of forums trying to figure out why my 850 prints a page and gets jammed on exit, only with thicker paper.

I shortened the spring on the paper sensor exit flag, I messed with the tray full flag, I messed with the maintenance kit sides etc..

But when I figured out where the solenoid was and tried the paper thing it worked perfect. So I took a tiny screwdriver and scraped this very sticky gunk out from the solenoid and the metal bar. There was quite a bit of that sticky gunk.

Sure enough, when i got rid of the gunk the paper exited fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back