Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

technology convergence

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbmsguy

MIS
Jun 8, 2001
CA
Just a thought of the future....

What I believe we will be seeing over the next bunch of years is more technology convergence. We are already starting to see it now with things like wireless technology converging with other products.

internet over the phone
banking over the internet
cash machines over microwave

how long before we will have a gps on our wrist watch? We already have GPS in our cars. With this GPS, we can now get verbal directions from our present position to our destination (how many technologies were put together for that one?).

when will it become common place to have hardware in our bodies?

think of the opportunities that are possible. more and more, we will see computers converging with other technologies to provide new products.

Just a thought. I got bored with the current threads. Paul

I too see the future of human evolution converging with the furure of technology. We will see the day when humans have implants to aloow the cripple to walk and the blind to see. That can be twisted in creating the "Super Soldier" as well. As we prgress both in life and technology it will be only a matter of time before we merge. Who is to say its not natural? Purists will of course fight the issue saying that its not the will of GOD. But remember not everyone believes in GOD or the same god as everyone else. WHo knows what the future holds. It could be the type of future we see on STAR TREK or the type we see in the TERMINATOR. Who knows? We should embrace the cumforts we have now and look to the future not shy away from it. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

yes I agree we will see more technology come to the human body if you lost a leg or a heart or even a mind (perhaps!)but in th the way of computer thing A.C. Clark had it right 3001 (the only good thing in the book) about a computer that you hear in the book on your head that worked with you off though only and it did ever thing you would need in a computer , a pda, cell phone, gps, etc

I thing that if some thing like that came out it would not be part of the body but something attacked to it, like if it where on the head it ran MRI like scan and was set to your mind so it knew what you wanted from though alone.

P.S. I sure would not want anythning In my head that MS helped in. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Of course there will be a convergence with technology but this is nothing new. It started back with the cave men when they started using tools for hunting etc. and will continue for as long as we can still produce and support these tools.

“when will it become common place to have hardware in our bodies?” well, haven’t people been surviving with pace makers for years???

And to be honest, its scary. I know you’ll say its progress but how much of this is good? I don’t want to have to pay a subscription to some money grabbing company just to update the software I require to stay alive!!

Tell me. When the earths old supplies run out, where we gonna get the energy required to maintain all these systems and part?

It is too late, human, my army of smart toasters, microwaves, refrigerators and can openers will take over the world!! HA HA HA HA!!!

Your friend,

Brainiac (an Nth-level intelligence)

i always thought those can openers wanted to start the forth reich myself....and as for those toasters..! X-)

Give it up, Brainiac! I've beaten you before and I'll do it again!

Superman

I agree with Little Wing, imagine the problems with Medicare and Medical Insurance now, and then compare that to a company like Microsoft running all of this.

I think the possible benefits will outway the negative stuff, but we must be carefull.

My toaster has already started a small Dictatorship :)

I have to report ALL my daily activities to my Toaster. If I dont the Microwave will break my legs! %-) Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
A+, MCP

If you think the toaster is bad don't get a bread maker So long and thanks for all the fish.

Too late. My wife has one. Its been quiet for now. Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

James Collins
A+, MCP

Actually you can already buy a wrist watch witha GPS system on it. I believe Casio make it.

I am just waiting for them to create a babelfish so I can quit my conversational cantonese and mandarin lessons... Static Apnea - snorkelling in a swimming pool without a snorkel?

yes but i'm sure my toaster won't let me use its babelfish - i mean, it doesn't even have ears to plug the fish in, but still it tries to fry it :-(

just as long as its not like the toaster on Red Dwarf that keeps offering to make you some toast!! Static Apnea - snorkelling in a swimming pool without the snorkel?

BEWARE THE FLYING TOASTERS!!!!
even tho they have been around for years they were just trying to "befriend" the humans before conquering them! I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back