Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Technician's Tool Kit 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

LWComputingMVP

IS-IT--Management
Jul 3, 2005
US
Greetings folks,

A few months back, I was reminded of my long standing plan to create a web page on what tools a technician might want to possess - either to carry with them or simply to have available if needed.

I would appreciate everyone's comments with regards to new/missing tools not listed. I won't include all - only those I can see a use for that another tool (and/or knowledge) doesn't already do.

And comments aside, hopefully this list will present at least one tool or resource you didn't know about and could find useful.

If nothing else, new technicians should probably read it over to familiarize themselves with what's available and how it might be used.

-Lee

Here's the link:

[Sorry if this gets posted multiple times - hopefully an admin can delete any multiple copies - the site is not responding normally at the time I'm trying to post this]

lw,

Nice page. One tool I cannot be without is that little pen-sized plastic yellow thing that you press down on one end and a little wire claw comes out either to grab a dropped screw or, in my fat-fingered case, to hold a tiny screw to get it started in the screw-hole. Absolutely the one tool I need the most right after the Phillips screwdriver itself.

Also, those little expansion-slot blanks make excellent tools for removing PCI-E or AGP clips, as well as de-facto large blade screwdrivers.

Lastly, small bag of nuts, screws, washers, zip-ties etc. I found a little Belkin kit (that came with the yellow thing) about the size of a remote control holds all the little stuff nicely and zips shut. Also, I recommend those hard plastic boxes with hole-punched sleeves instead of CD wallets, as I have had CDs crack in overstuffed wallets.

Oh, on that laptop, how about A BOOKMARK TO YOUR PAGE quite helpful indeed and greatly appreciated.

Tony

lw,
Thanks for the info. I can't grip screws so i also use the "little yellow thing" as mentioned by wahnula. I think it is called a retractor. I don't do field work anymore just bench. A handheld or bench magnifier is a must for me. Dental picks (found at local hardware stores)are also good for getting at drive jumpers and other things. I know that a static strap is a must. I have one but never use it though. A thick small rubber mat (about the size of a type writer pad) is good to have when working on laptops. It provides protection to the top surface from scratches while working on it upside down.

Heres a few things that I use, one of them I just learned about 2 days ago. I have not completely went over your site due to being busy so I apologize if I happen to list something you have listed already.

First off on screws, I took an idea from my friend. I organized all of mine in a 2 dollar tackle box from walmart. Works wonders. As for screws themselves I usually get a bag from the local computer store for free.

Now I noticed you had the ultimate boot cd on there, very useful from what ive seen. Added it to my collection. I use another cd as well called hiren's cd. Ive been trying to figure out if the cd is legal or not lol. Not quite sure but here it is anyway.

Download hirens cd

Also heres something I just learned of about 2 days ago which I will be buying very soon. Its a pci card that will let you know exactly whats wrong with the motherboard. Like what component is dead.

Details from the manufacturers site.

Also star for you as well from me as I have bookmarked your site to go through it. Looks very useful.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

I've been bailed out by decent wire cutters (sonetime the ones on strippers just aren't up to it)and even hacksaws a few times.

Only the truly stupid believe they know everything.
Stu.. 2004

Tweezers. That's about the only way I can manage to get jumpers removed these days. At one point jumpers used to be bigger, and some places experimented with jumpers that had tabs on them to make removing them easier, but that appears to have gone away. So tweezers are a necessity in my book.

Plus a mini flashlight, though I see you have that listed.

I find that a good pair of small needle nose pliers can be very useful...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Dental picks (found at local hardware stores)....

Or at your dental office! My dentist replaces his when they dull; and I go in and get a half-dozen or so when I need them. Just ask your dentist if he has any old ones you can have. He probably will. :)

Sears has a NICE little precision set that goes on sale for $10 every so often. It's 4 pairs of precision, spring-loaded pliers and cutters in a sweet zipper case. I keep one in my tech kit.

A pair of locking hemostats (if you can find them) are a *GREAT* tool to have around. They're not only very handy for reaching down and retrieving that dropped screw, but they can also be an extra "set of hands" to hold onto small parts (especially if you're soldering), and also make an effective heat sink when soldering.

An RJ-45 cross-over adapter is a *MUST*.

If you're building a full toolbox (I actually have one of the suitcase-style tool cases), I like to keep a small hot glue gun in there as well. Just for emergencies.

Just my 2¢
-Cole's Law: Shredded cabbage

--Greg

As far as screws, washer etc goes I use an old medicine bottle to hold mine. The smaller ones work perfect for a tool kit and are see through so you can see what you are after. I've had a bag or two get holes in them which made me switch to the medicine bottles. Now I have a couple that travel with me and a bunch of bigger ones at home and at work.

I'd also second Greg's suggestion of a RJ45 crossover connector. If you are doing a toolkit I'd suggest a USB floppy, a spare SATA, IDE and floppy cable. Never fails you go to a clients place to install a new hard drive and they don't have a cable.

LED flashlights are cheap and small enough to store in a kit. I can get them at my local swap meet for around $5 that use 3 AA batteries but are pretty bright.

Great list though!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Greetings folks - I hope to include some of the items you all have pointed out within the next few days.

One thing I will note, however, I will not be adding Hiren's CD. To me, this is clearly a product offering that is violating many license agreements. Many of the included products require you to purchase them yet they are on this CD in a fully functional state. While I don't discount the potential use of such tools, I would instead advocate the use of a BartPE CD which you customize. With a full Retail copy of XP (not otherwise installed anywhere else) you can be fully licensed to use BartPE (as I understand how the licensing works) and you can buy and include the tools you find most useful to you.

Agreed lw.

Warez is wrongz. PLUS we have no idea what unethical people might code into pirated software...not necessarily Hiren's but warez in general. I like my software legal, licensed, and in the manufacturer's original code. That's what happens when you grow up [smile]

Tony

Well like I said I was not sure if it was legal or not. I do not pirate anymore and had no intentions of spreading pirated junk on here. Just posting things ive been using as that cd has saved me quite a bit.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

One thing I forgot about yesterday. It has to be the most important thing on the list that I didn't see. Without these items you will almost always go insane!!!

A pen and a small pad of paper.

I mean how many times have been some place trying to find a working pen or something to write on to get a BIOS revision number or settings in BIOS if you need to reset? Frustrating if you can't find a pen or a piece of paper to write on! These insane people with clean desks!!!

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

lw:

Great list, btw, I showed it to our guy up in Maine.

I did have one comment, though, re: extension cords.

Having an extension cord handy is great, but I would *never* supply one to a customer. I know that in my state, the fire marshall considers extension cords "temporary", and if he sees the same one two visits in a row, you get nicked on it. Where I work, we're not even allowed to have extension cords; I have one that I am allowed to use just for the portable projector and screen, but I am not allowed to use it in any "permanent" installation.

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Same here with extension cords in Ohio, at least at the hospital I used to work at. Oddly enough though, they didn't consider surge protectors an issue, even after someone daisy-chained 3 of them together to get the same effect as an extension cord.

another good thing to have along with you is to install Portable Apps on one a flash drive. has some good tools there.

even after someone daisy-chained 3 of them together to get the same effect as an extension cord.

I got nicked on that one (just 2 of them).

Fire inspector made me correct that right in front of him.

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Off subject

Greg I went to your Web page, you sing real good!

Laptop, wireless broadband card.

Ad-Aware, Hijack This, Spybot S&D, Firefox installer, OEM Windows Cds 2000 through Vista, Ubuntu install cd, AVG antivirus free version.

Round metal file (I will MAKE that standard power supply fit dang it), Leatherman, regular set of tools covering the Leathermans functions, because its tools are never long enough, electrical tester, digital temp reader, misc salvaged DIMMS, USB Nic, USB floppy, USB/firewire hard drive.

acewarlock:

Thank you. :)

Just my 2¢

--Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back