Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Technical Phone Interview 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

philote

MIS
Oct 2, 2003
US
I'll be having a phone interview in a few days for a programming position I applied for. I was told by the person I set up the interview time with (not the person I'm interviewing with) that it would be about an hour long and would be "technical", involving algorithms, etc. It sounds to me like it won't be too language-specific, but instead will go over some programming basics. I have a BS in computer science where most of what we learned was related to programming, but that was a few years ago and I'm looking to refresh my memory. Can anyone tell me some good sites that deal with algorithms, etc.? I'm guessing I'll need to know sorting algorithms (quick sort, bubble sort, and such), binary search trees, and recursion but I also wanted to get your input on what else I may want to review.

And since I've never had this type of interview, any other advice would also be greatly appreciated.

Well, sadly the interview was a disappointment. Though I was informed it was to be a technical interview it amounted to a few questions about my resume and schooling and ending with a "sorry, you're not qualified". The position involved mainly C++ and Java and unfortunately I haven't done that since college a few years ago. I've been mainly programming in Perl, which they weren't very interested in. They did however say the position was mainly for recent college grads who may not have work experience. Unfortunately I've been out of college for about three years now and they felt that my skills would be too rusty to endure the challenges the position brings.
My weakness has always been my relative inability to sell myself. If it weren't for that and being thrown off by this not being a technical interview, I may have done a lot better and progressed to the next step in the hiring phase. So what I did when I got off the phone and realize how badly the conversation had gone was wrote an e-mail to the interviewer thanking them for their time. I also went into detail about how much I wanted the position and how confident I am that I would do well, some qualifications I had left out during the interview and on my resume, and how I wished I had conveyed this much over the phone. Though I didn't want to be a pest, I figured I had nothing to lose and a follow up to an interview is always recommended.
I'm a bit disappointed about this interview but I knew when I applied for the position that it would be a long shot and was surprised to have even gotten called. If nothing else, I've gained some more interviewing experience to help me down the road.

Well, time to get back to the job search... [afro2]

philote

I am sorry to hear the disappointing news.

But I do want to thank you for a fantastic thread, and you did gain some stars and wisdom with the experience. You will be that much better next time.

Best wishes and keep the spirits up.

Good idea on the followup email. It shows persistence without being overbearing. Sorry the interview wasn't as successful as you had hoped.
It's always disappointing when there is miscommunication during the hiring process.
This was a great thread, good luck in your job search.

Pain is stress leaving the body.

DoubleD [bigcheeks]

Better luck next time philote. Just remember that everyone works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I just wanted to say thanks again everyone for the support and advice. And you're right, Cajun, it's not the end. I'm fortunate enough to have a job right now that (mostly) pays the bills and there are many other prospects out there. And if I had gotten this position it would have involved moving my family across the country, which is something we have mixed feelings about. I'm sure everything will turn out for the best.

..if it's any consolation, "looking for straight out of college" doesn't necessarily mean "looking for up to date skills", it quite probably means "cheapskates looking for cheap personnel"

If you and your family were having mixed feelings about moving across the country then it worked out as it should have.

I don't see how three years out of college would make one less desireable than having graduated last month. If they are wanting C++ and Java experience from someone who may have never worked, then they are obviously expecting the experience to be from college, which you have.

I took seven programming courses in college. Three were in Java and one was in C++. None of them really prepares in and of themselves, a person to write advanced code all day in a professional environment. To me, they allotted me exposure, and peaked my interest in programming. It was up to me to learn and take it to the next level. I don't think anyone can expect someone to become a master programmer by taking a few classes for 3 hours a week, 4 months at a time.

That said, it seems as though you would be more desireable than a more recent grad. You have real world experience. Maybe they were not totally honest with you.

Phil, I don't think it was your lack of experience or "rustiness" that didn't get you the job. I think that is the politically correct answer they gave you. It's been my experience that prospective employers care less about your credentials and experience than you think. Sounds crazy, but I think it comes down to whether they like you or not.

I once had an interviewer say that he judges people by the inside of their cars. At that point I was hoping I had taken public transportation or a taxi. I guess the thought was that if their interior wasn't clean, that means they are disorganized, etc. Another once said he didn't like my shirt...at least he was honest.

I certainly wouldn't get down about it. Try to learn from it if you can. If you feel you made some mistakes in selling yourself, then work on your selling skills. Sometimes the best things in life are the jobs you DON'T get. I can't say it was the case here, but it happens. Chances are good you will find something better.

Just my two cents...

Omega36 - LOL!

I once had a big interview for a fairly high-level position. Unfortunately, I was homeless at the time and living in a van. But I wasn't a bum, I had my suits and clothing on a rod in my van, I had a whole setup. But it was obviously cluttered and a little messy. i was interviewed by three different guys over the course of the morning, it all goes well, and then the president took me to lunch! By now I think I must have the job in the bag. As we are walking back, the president says to me, You know two guys once were up for a position and the hiring person made the decision on how clean the car was, ha! ha! So....I said, uh, ha ha. Trying not to look nervous. But of course I did not get the job, and suspect that was her way of explaining why. Sheeesh....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back