Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TEC 3.6.2 - 3.8

Status
Not open for further replies.

tooheys

Technical User
May 19, 2003
AU
I’am currently upgrading from TEC 3.6.2 to TEC 3.8 and I was going great until I hit the DBAssistance.

I ‘am using DBAssistance with FP1

It seems that there are problems executing the scripts that are created during the setup phase.

I would like to know if anyone else is having issues as well.

Thanks Craig

Hi there,

Quick question for you, what database are you using?

I had set up an environment (albeit a clean install, haven't done a TEC upgrade to 3.8 yet) with a MS SQL DB and I kept getting errors when I would run the script.

It seems that the script (at least for MS SQL) wanted to put files into a directory something like the following:

c:\whatever\whatever\data\whatever

The problem was that the data directory didn't exist and the script wasn't capable of creating it. When I manually created the data directory things worked fine (Although I wonder why the script can create a directory underneath the data folder but cannot create the data folder itself, odd no?)

I don't know if this has anything to do with what you are seeing or not.

One other thing that kicked me in the teeth, the first time I ran the DB Assistant, I hadn't seen the light grey scrollbar that is on a grey background. So I hadn't answered half of the question that one screen of the DB Assistant wanted. Needless to say that failed miserably as well.

What is/are the error messages that you are getting?

Sorry if this answer seems a little long wonded.

kosekjm

Hi there,

Thank you for your post.

I’m doing a migration from Sybase to a DB2 database

Yes I have seen this in the scripts as well as I had the same problem. I found out what I need to do on a unix server was create a directory and make sure it has the ower rights and then when the DBAssistance ran it would create subdirectories as need and remove then when completed.

Not sure if this is the same on NT ?

I have fixed my errors with the dbassistance thank you. I have upgraded the Enviroument in the test lab and now going to do this next wed, I will let you know how I go.

Thanks Craig

we had the same problems. After working through the problem with Tivoli, we eventually just used the dbassist to generate the scripts, then we gave the scripts to our dba. Our dba looked at them and said they needed to be customized to work and he re-wrote them. We then ran his re-written scripts, and all was ok.

Tivoli sort of agreed that the db wizard was not the best way to do the upgrade, and that if you did any customization at all to your database in 3.6, the wizard upgrade probably would not work. hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back