Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Teaching networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpdeskdan

Technical User
Jun 16, 2006
US
This question does not really fit in this forum, but there is no exact forum for such a question. I apologize for such - this was the best fit, as my field is networking.

I am appalled by the quality of education available for IT fields I found in High School and College. In Math, English, Art, and Music I have seen exemplary teachers. However, I have seen too many IT teachers who are completely out of touch with reality (still living in 1995) and some who just blatantly do not have a clue. Not to imply that there are not good teachers in such. There are some brilliant people in these forums who teach others, some of whom do it for a living. (I believe CiscoGuy33 is such)

I'm tired of the adage "those who can, do; those who can't, teach" being proved true. I'd like to be involved in changing that. However, I have been strongly cautioned that education is a trap - once you are in, you can never again get a job in "The Real World." I was wondering if others have found this to be true/false or if that is a risk I will have to take.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

I work as an IT contractor but occasionally I will advertise and invite people to my home for some one-on-one CCNA/CCNP training where they can use my personal lab. I've been doing this for some time now.

Whilst the teaching doesn't match what I earn as a contractor, I do gain satisfaction from seeing people improve their networking skills through my assistance.

In short, you can both work and teach in the field at the same time I'm proof of that.

However I admit though I do think there is a danger of perhaps losing touch with some of the emerging technologies if you teach full time and all the time. As a contractor, I typically get thrown into the deep end and have to make some of these technologies work for my clients - sometimes with next-to-ZERO documentation available on the CCO. Cisco trainers are not required to know about these new technologies - they just need to know what's covered in the exams.

The Cisco exams will eventually capture these new technologies of course but by then a few years may have elapsed before a rewrite of the exam has occurred.

I admit I wouldn't teach full time. It's just a sideline/hobby for me I guess.

helpdeskdan,

In some ways you are very correct! I have had, seen and worked with those instructors that are stuck in 1995!

I am very lucky - I have done most my teaching in a Cisco Network Academy - where Cisco sets the bar and keeps raising it - so I have to stay on top of my game and stay in touch - lots of reason why I hang out here - you all keep me up to date!

I also teach in a community college - right down the street from Central Command (Tampa Fl) so we get our share of IT people direct from the top levels of the military as well as other companies in the area - if you are not up on the latest - they will call you on it!!

I will say that all instructors do not always feel that way - it really scared me at several of the Cisco Networkers conventions that I went to that was open to people teaching in the Cisco Academys - some of those teaching in high school were very scary - all they knew was what they had read ONCE in a book!!!

Good people will always have their choice of jobs - they can go back and forth between teaching and the real world -and I have seen many do just that

Those that suck - are going to get stuck where they do because they do not put an effort and can not move and since schools are at the low end of the pay scale - that is all they can attract - except for the few good guys that put the real effort in and care more about teaching then the big bucks $$$$. They are there - you will know them because their classes will always be full - not to brag but my classes were always full :)

I am not teaching right now - I work as an administrator at the community college in computer science and continue to help with the Cisco Academy as I finish my masters in MIS.

Just some thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Wow...what a forum to start. My background is not as an instructor, but I have seen some of the same things. I graduated from a 2-year program and at the time I thought the instructors were top notch. After being in the real world, I realized what was being taught was the 'best case' scenario. My instructors were very knowledgeable, but I'm not certain how well they might survive in the world.

I have had the opportunity to attend some of the weeklong classes at a local training facility (which is now no longer in business)...and those guys were amazing. Instructors had certifications listed a mile long, and they really seemed to know there stuff.

What has amazed me is when I’ve had interns or new employees start after graduating any program, and they can’t do some of the most basic computer functions. My prime example (and this is a few years back) is one person that did not know how to format a floppy disk. Not to sound like I’m stuck in 1995, but I was still shocked. I’m on the advisory committee for the program I graduated from now. Every meeting, I stress we can’t lose sight of the basics. I’ve tried to make it a point to every year go back and talk to the classes, just to give that real-world perspective on how things really are out there. My biggest lesson to give them is as the salary to responsibilities to stress level are all directly related…or at least seem to be.

I have thought that it would be fun to be a substitute instructor for our local programs. Not saying I’m the best teacher, but if nothing else to be there and help to answer questions, would help me to deepen my understanding of a topic.

I think this forum has had some of my best teachers. The only thing that would help my education gained from here, is to be able to put up an actual drawing of a sample network to work off. All of you have been a great asset to me as I've been working towards my certifications. It’s been a great community to be involved with. Thank you all.

I have heard that colleges and most technical schools are on the average about 3 to 7 years behind the latest technologies (I am sure some are even more so).

What is sad about this is, most companies will not even consider you for an I/T position unless you have at least a bachelors degree.

"We know now we can't beat their machines. We've got to beat THEM."
Dr. Clayton Forrester

I couldn't agree more with lerdalt - there are so many helpful people here, I wish I could thank all of them. Posting and reading on these forums has helped keep me up to date and continually reminds me of what subjects I need to brush up on. I can completely believe what you said about floppies - I knew somebody who graduated in CS who couldn't figure out how to fix her laptop - it needed a BIOS password reset to reload windows. (Not that all girls fit the stereotype) Granted, some I've heard that some are tough, but none should tough enough to discourage a CS major. One of our professors, who actually was very bright and knew his subject well at least by 10 years ago standards, enlisted our help to reload windows because he had no idea how.
Wabob, I would love to attend a college that was only 3 years behind the times. The closest thing I've ever seen is, as mentioned, is the Cisco Academy. As for the 4 year degree, I was lucky to have access to funds that allowed me to enroll in the Cisco Academy while I worked on my degree. It didn't add a single credit to graduation, but it was a heck of a lot better than the pitiful networking training at my school.
It is unfortunate that many teachers have no comprehension of employers - they haven't a clue! An employer doesn't care how much network theory you understand, or how you can write basic network programs. Unless you're a programmer, they aren't impressed. They don't care if you understand TokenRing and other ancient layer 2 technology. You are hired to do a job - if you can't configure a router, you can't do that job and you won't be hired. Forgive my ranting, I'll end here as it accomplishes nothing.
CiscoGuy33 is the only one who has given me some hope of not getting stuck in a black hole of education. He's usually right on other subjects, I'll hold faith that he is right here.

Dan,

You said - "It is unfortunate that many teachers have no comprehension of employers - they haven't a clue! An employer doesn't care how much network theory you understand, or how you can write basic network programs."..... again - this is soooo true!

I was very lucky to have the EMPLOYERS in several of my classes - I had an IT director for a world-wide hospital group, the IT director for Clear Channel radio stations and the upper-level IT manager from the local international airport to name a few. I always made a point as we discussed something in class to get them to chime in to how it was done in the "real world" - 95% of the time the Cisco Academy was on target - the average age in my classes was about 30-35 - most were in the industry in some way or the other. I always would rather teach by saying "this is how it is done" or "this is what you can expect".

You also said "not getting stuck in a black hole of education"

Some people do get stuck in the black hole because it can be a nice place to be - it does not pay the same as the "real world" but you have little to no stress - some come and never go back because they enjoy the laid back way of life on a college campus! I type this as I start my 2 weeks of paid holiday vaction (not part of my regular vacation) - we do not get paid as much but we get lots of days off :)

I will say it again - those that are good - will rise to the top and pick the jobs they want.

I taught with a guy who had a full-time job as a network admin for a stock broker firm - he said 99% of the time he just sat a waited for something to go wrong - when it did - he was busy - very busy. He loved getting to the Cisco Academy where he could "play" with the technology - something he could not do at work - he said that is what kept him sharpe!

The best way to experience both worlds is to work full-time and teach part-time.

Just some thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Ah, how I could tell you of teachers I know who could never make it in the real world. I can name them, one after another. I have betimes wondered if the whole education system is not a dumping ground for those who have no idea what they are doing or those who know what they are doing but can not teach. Nevertheless, there are some who are very good.

Working full-time and teaching part-time may be best, but hard to arrange. I fear the black hole. I've met very few who, after teaching, could go back. An inherent risk I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back