Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Break into Cisco Networking. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giant99

Technical User
Sep 19, 2008
GB
Hi,

I'm a CCNA living in England just south of London. My CCNA is out of date next May and I have just started studying for my BSCI.
I work in 1st/2nd line support for a large company (2000 users).
I am finding it impossible to break into networking. The network team here have no jobs for someone at my level. I do well in interviews except I cannot say 'yeah, I have Cisco experience'. I tell them I got my CCNA from zero knowledge to passing in three weeks (studying eight hours a day including weekends). I have a Boson simulator. I do not have the space or money to set up actual routers and switches.

Can anyone out there give me advice on breaking into the field?

Any help greatly appreciated.

When you are taking a look at the 7200 routers, pay special attention to what cards are in it. Depending on what it has, you might not be able to easily connect them together.

I had a look in the workshop and there is nothing there apart fom the 7200s. I think I might have to buy a CCNP lab from ebay.

There is nothing wrong with that Giant. I learned a lot from researching the equipment that I bought for my lab.. Your first steps depend on which test you plan on taking first.. If routing then I would suggest you begin with an XM router or either an inexpensive ISR such as the 851 or 871 (non-wireless) models...

B Haines
CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

maczen,

You said - "I learned a lot from researching the equipment that I bought for my lab.." You are soooooo right, you learn so much more when you take the time and research what each router is and how it will fit into the mix. You also pick up along the way tons of infomation on that router or switch while you are researching it.

It also helps to research the WICs, cables and memory needed in each, get a whole new understanding of the equipment as well as learning where to find what you need to know about the items!

I always thought it would be nice to buy a lab already together, but I always have so much more fun and learn so much more when I piece a lab together item by item!

Just my thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

All the above sound like experience. If you can pass the current CCNA, you have some experience, you are trainable, and you have an appreciation for the network field i.e. you are always a student, you must always make it work before you go home, you must have great research skills, and you must work some crazy hours. Any employer who expects you to know everything is foolish.

How to get in to network after you have CCNA? Haunt the network guys and beg for bones. Have a lab at home and practice, practice, practice. I am constantly amazed at how many network admins I see in class who don't really understand and know what they're doing but they manage to get by with consultants. Many of them couldn't get a CCNA to save their skins. If you have a CCNA, make it known that you're ready and eager to help.

The smaller your company, the more likely you'll get the nod. Often, they'll even pay more than the larger companies. Look for attorneys, doctors, accountants, hospitals, car dealerships, schools, government offices, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back