Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

teacher wishes to view her classes my documents

Status
Not open for further replies.

schtek

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2005
GB
ok here is the situation normal roaming profiles for all users in a school. the teachers wish to view the work of their students in there my documents area of there profiles without having to sign on to each individual account..
anyone got any good way to set this up machines in use are 2003 standard and xp pro's

thanks

It's the same each time with progress. First they ignore you, then they say you're mad, then dangerous, then there's a pause and then you can't find anyone who disagrees with you.

That depends on your setup but i assume you have a teachers group and a share that holds all the users docs on the server. Just give the teachers group access to the share and allow them read or change NTFS permissions on the users folders. Once this is done provide the teachers with a shortcut to the share and they can browse to their hearts content.

give the teachers group, read permissions for the students' my docs folder.

map the 'my documents' folder on each computer to a server with a folder for each student.

for example, on each student logon, map a drive X to the server.

Student "Joe Bob" with account "JoeB" would be mapped to \\server\JoeB.

Then use group policies to assign 'my document' to be mapped to X:

Then the teacher would be given r/w permissions to all the student folders on the server and can look at them anytime.

This would also be a single point to backup or protect the student documents.

ya, try creating a write only drop box that will be mapped to each students desktop, then ask them to save the files like

WWII_JG.doc or they can just name there folder My Documents_JG or something, then just put that file in the drop box and everything will be good.

wow swift answers thanks a lot!!!

any more ideads please would be app!!
want to get this right in 2 weeks when i redesign the whole issue

It's the same each time with progress. First they ignore you, then they say you're mad, then dangerous, then there's a pause and then you can't find anyone who disagrees with you.

ps. the teachers want also to mark the work!!! would they be able to or would it cause dual doc's to be produced!!

MT

5jgibbs idea is good as well we use letterbox folders here, the students can put work into the folder but cannot read or delete the contents. The teacher can then put the marked docs into a returned folder. If you use this idea it's best to get the students to call the doc the same as their username, this prevents 30 students trying to hand in a doc called 'history project' as then only the first would be able to all the others would be denied.

This solution doesn't provide the ability for teachers to casually look into students work areas though.

Hi all I have the same situation, I have given the "STAFF" group access to the folder that contains all the students work on the server, using SECURITY/SHARING; I have then made an Excell spread sheet that contains all the user names and used the HYPERLINK function to link to the home directory of each user. As an extra there are sheets for each year group and on the spread sheet there are cells that link directly to certain folders that each user has ie: ART, TECH, SCIENCE etc. This works very well each member of staff can access this Excell document thgrough a shared area (hidden from pupils) and by this means check on work. I also have an INBOX for pupils work submission to Staff and they have an appropriate INBOX for the reply.

Only the good die young, me Im here forever :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back