Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TDA and VoIP over ADSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotski

Technical User
Mar 17, 2004
AU
I am considering running Voip tie lines over ADSL between a TDA200 and 2 TDA30 for a customer with remote offices
does anyone have some experience with this kind of setup
what kind of voice Quality could be expected or any other problems ie: bandwith, time delay etc.
thanks
Trotski

THEY SAID AT THE SCHOOL NOT TO TRY IT OVER DSL CONNECTION!!

I know it is not recommended but i am tring to find the cheapest solution for my customer.
And i am interested in seeing what kind of problems are experienced over DSL mainly so I can explain to the customer why it isn't a good Idea.

hey telling them that panasonic won't support you if
you use a dsl connection should be a good enough reason for them!

Hello!

Hear my advice, tell Your customer that You can't connect them over ADSL, because ADSL is using for connections to INTERNET , and for VoIP connections custumer need to have INTRANET connection beatween his offices!
Damir from Zagreb ( Croatia )

new card that came out that is actually made by panasonic
is supposed to work on adsl!

cwc3 what is the part number of this new card
I would like to check it out

mULTI tECH voip WORK GREAT OVER ANY BROADBAND CONNECTION
USING VPN router.

trotski call your distributor for more info!

How far away is the 2nd site? If within a few miles you can talk the provider into getting a dry pair between offices (tell them its for alarm, then the monthly charge is nominal). You can then get a set of H-DSL modems (one configured as a provider, the other a subscriber). You can expect t-1 speeds in most cases. Tell Panasonic its a point-to-point T-1. Hehe.

There are six sites ranging from 60km to 250km
all are small offices constantly calling each other customer is looking to reduce his long distance bill

We have set up 3 site's that work on a DSL connection, we are only having a few minor problems where some mornings we are losing the connection for about 30 minutes, and only with the one site which is on the main Wolverhampton city exchange, we are investigating at the moment! the other two site are running smoothly and minimum problems. I will update with more information once we have a fix!!!!!

I used Multitech's MultiVOIP to link 5 sites, all with ADSL 3Meg service. We have no problems.

All sites are in the same city. (London, Ontario)
There was one site in Halifax, NS that worked perfectly for over a year but then the quality of connection fell apart and became unusable. (constant drop outs and even frequent complete disconnects.)

Unless you have QOS from END TO END (not just at each end) you may not have a quality connection.

In London we have very good connectivity between most ISPs in the city. Clearly something between here and NS changed for the worse.

Pat MacKinnon
Omni telecommunications Inc.,
London, Ontario, Canada
omnitel-ca

The Intercity routes here are generally SDH systems of high quality but what lets us down here in regional areas is the degraded copper network feeding from the local exchanges

How far away is the 2nd site? If within a few miles you can talk the provider into getting a dry pair between offices (tell them its for alarm, then the monthly charge is nominal). You can then get a set of H-DSL modems (one configured as a provider, the other a subscriber). You can expect t-1 speeds in most cases. Tell Panasonic its a point-to-point T-1. Hehe.
Must say this solution has been tried with some of our customers. works a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back