Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TD problem!! :( 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasumX

Programmer
Feb 19, 2005
US
ok im getting a td error while trying to validate my site :( hope someone will have a solutions of this? :) Thanks!

-----------------------------------------------------
Line 88, column 2190: document type does not allow element "td" here

...div></div></div></div></div></div><td>&nbsp;</td>

The element named above was found in a context where it is not allowed. This could mean that you have incorrectly nested elements -- such as a "style" element in the "body" section instead of inside "head" -- or two elements that overlap (which is not allowed).

One common cause for this error is the use of XHTML syntax in HTML documents. Due to HTML's rules of implicitly closed elements, this error can create cascading effects. For instance, using XHTML's "self-closing" tags for "meta" and "link" in the "head" section of a HTML document may cause the parser to infer the end of the "head" section and the beginning of the "body" section (where "link" and "meta" are not allowed; hence the reported error).

Line 89, column 33: document type does not allow element "td" here

<td class="border" valign="top">

Line 115, column 5: document type does not allow element "td" here

<td>&nbsp;</td>

Line 116, column 17: document type does not allow element "td" here

<td width="119">

The errors you listed looks like you have <td>s that are not inside a <table> and <tr>. If they are, then you have a <div> that is inside a table, but not inside a <td>.

Lee

could u take a look and tell me what i have to do? or maybe u can fix it for me ...i tried to find where is the prob but if i move any <td> the page getz messed up :( so i'm not sure where to fix what or what to do :( thanks..
the site is still under con..

Code:
goldenbangla.com/test.php

I have no idea what you problems are. Validator says that [tt]<td></td>[/tt] should not be there and it is correct, because td belong only within tr which belong only within table. That means your page is badly formed and validator is telling you that. Move the <td> inside a table and it will work. Incidentally, that is a frightful amount of closed divs. Are you sure that is all in order?

If someone fixes it for you, how will you learn anything?

If you've got five nested divs then you need to start doing some indenting to get a better idea of the structure of your page. What trollacious is trying to tell you is that table cell (<td>) tags must always be within table and table row tags, and that divs should be INSIDE table cells, so there should be a </td> at the end of the divs, not a <td> tag, like this:
Code:
<table>
  <tr>
    <td>
      <div>
      </div>
    </td>
  </tr>
</table>

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

ya, true how would i learn but i guess i gotta stay with the error cuz im not getting it i mean put it in between table if i try to do it it getz messed up...eh i guess i have to stay with error :(

hmm...maybe the suggestion waz helpfull and i finely fixed it :D

Excellent news. Now maybe you could work on your spelling.

Jeff

Good point, Jeff.

I could't find "Waz", "getz", "u", "prob", "con", or "cuz" in my dictionary... maybe I should upgrade to the "l33t h@x0rz and txt speekrs d1ctshunry" ;o)

Dan

[tt]D'ya think I got where I am today because I dress like Peter Pan here?[/tt]
[banghead]

That's a quote taken directly from a "Napoleon Dynamite" fan site. Have you seen the film? It's quite good.

Dan

[tt]D'ya think I got where I am today because I dress like Peter Pan here?[/tt]
[banghead]

That movie sucks, and all the quotes are stupid.

-kaht

...looks like you don't have a job, so why don't you get out there and feed Tina.
[banghead]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back