Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCPIP Performance Issue need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

roacha

Technical User
May 21, 2008
US
We are trying to determine why requests to our Windows 2003 Server are taking so long to respond. The server does not have any CPU/Memory/Disk issues according to Foglight and Performance Monitor. We are sending tons of requests to this server so I am thinking about TCPIP connection issues. I noticed this when running netstat -e -s:

749419 active connections openings
1612880 passive connection openings
6730 failed connection attempts
145270 connection resets received

Should I be concerned about the failed connection attempts? Is this enough to implement the TCP/IP registry tunings that are recommended?

I do not see any packet errors, is there another tool/command that I can run to gather any better statistics? Netmon and look at the response times?

Thanks for any advice..

You should also consider network speed/duplex mismatches before you implement any tuning on your server.

Check to make sure that your server and your switch are either forced to the same speed/duplex or are left at Auto Negotiate. A speed/duplex mismatch is a common cause of poor performance.

Might also be worth ensuring that your server is running the latest network drivers and firmware depending on what the hardware is.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

If you have a managed switch check the ports for errors, more than a few per port generally indicates a bad link, next in line a NIC/driver issue. One "bad" line can bring a network down to a crawl.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

I have confirmed that the speed/duplex of the interfaces are not an issue and both the switch and card are set the same.

There also is not any inbound or outbound packet errors. This is an application that receives a SOAP request within Tomcat and then makes a quick SQL Server call and returns. But it does it 100's thousands of time. The request to SQL seems to be very fast. But responding back to the main application (SOAP call) has slow response times. It is tough to find out where the performance problem is. Here are the results from netstat should I be worried about any of these results?

IPv4 Statistics

Packets Received = 2006219082
Received Header Errors = 0
Received Address Errors = 11
Datagrams Forwarded = 0
Unknown Protocols Received = 0
Received Packets Discarded = 0
Received Packets Delivered = 2006218949
Output Requests = 1593343596
Routing Discards = 0
Discarded Output Packets = 0
Output Packet No Route = 0