Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tcp reconnection timeout

Status
Not open for further replies.

josem05

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2005
US
I keep getting this message whenever arcserve is looking for a second tape. I have changed the "additonal media" timeout option to 60 mins, but this seeme like an open file timeout. Does anybody know how to change this time? It bombs out after 15 mins.
Thanks

Do you have a library or changer?
Does the job really needs a second media?

jmc

Thanks for the suggestion. I;ll give the fix a try and post my results.

I am having this same problem. CA Support has dialed in and "optimized" my system; decreased my packet size; increased my send and receive times and as yet, nothing has helped. At their suggestion, I have changed my receive and send timeouts to 28,800 seconds (8 hrs). I have even tried changing the reconnection timeout. It has not worked. I have two Super DLT drives with my servers split fairly even between them but this happens only on one server and it only happens during the weekly backups, which are full backups with verification set to compare. I have only been doing the storage administration for 6 months and have used the manual a lot; but, this is not covered and I have already talked to CA Support three times. I would most definitely appreciate any assistance.
Kay

See vschumpys reply for the answer to this issue. I changed the registry parameters on both the remote server as well as the backup server, and upped the timeout period to 1hr.

Thanks!

Thanks; but, I have already done this. I should have made myself clearer... I have changed my parameters to eight hours on the remote and backup servers and I am still having the reconnection issue. But, only on the weekly backup for this one single server and only at a tape change.

Thanks again for any help. I am afraid I have found CA Support to be somewhat lacking.

Kay

Hi,

Please change the NIC settings on the backup and remote server from Auto or full duplex to half duplex.

Then check the backups...this could be a NIC card problem.

Cheers

paranth

I have already tried this fix and nothing changed. Only the first backup after I changed to debug mode worked but now I have the same problem again. Still the TCP Reconnection Timeout on the same server and only happens with the tape change. I don't think I mentioned that I am using v11.0 build 2670... I have not gone to the current build because of this problem. I don't need to have any more trouble until I find a workable resolution to this situation.

Thanks, Kay

Well, what little interaction I have had with support did not lead me to understand that there was an update. Of course, I have not had all that much luck with support.. and, as an fyi, support was the one who told me NOT to update until the problem was resolved.

Is there a resolution to this problem in v11.1? If so, I will upgrade ASAP.

Thanks, Kay

I'd be surprised if CA Support told you not to update. I would suggest you update host server and client agent as has already been suggested by davidmichel, you are basically running 11.0 with no patches whatsoever at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back