Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP Packet Redirection

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSRez

Programmer
Dec 22, 2004
EU
I have several Windows Media servers I wish to load balance and I am wondering if I can use a load balancing server to very efficiently rewrite or re-route data packets.

I know that load balancing is relatively simple to achieve by using a software or hardware load balancer (Zeus for example) but the problem I have with all that I have found so far is that all traffic must still be transmitted through the load balancer on the return path. I would really like to know if it's possible to route data in such a way that when the client connects, their connection request is forwarded by the load balancer to a Windows Media server which will then respond directly to the client without the load balancer being involved from then on.

You can use Linux Virtual Server (note: the name "virtual server" should not be confused with virtualization products like Hyper-V, VMware, etc.). It does exactly that for any TCP service.

The particular feature you are asking about with return traffic going directly to the client Direct Routing. Read more here:

Thanks fugtruck, this has definitely put me on the right track. I think the biggest hurdle I am faced with is that I am trying to implement this in the Amazon cloud where there is no concept of virtual IPs so I'm not sure if it's achievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back