Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have two Mac laptops that I network with a Ethernet crossover cable via AppleTalk.

I would prefer to link them with TCP/IP but I do not know where I can find the 'addresses' that are asked for in the File Sharing Controil panel or in the Chooser.

Any help that can be thrown on this problem will be gratefully received.

Davidrobert

Go to control panel TCP/IP, there ypu will get the IP address on your MAC

If there is no IP address assigned, you can pick one.
Make sure they are different on each mac, for example:

Mac1
Ip Address: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Mac2
IP Address: 192.168.0.2
Subnet Mak: 255.255.255.0

You shouldn't need to worry about DNS servers, etc.

Best of luck,
PT

PTmon,

what davidrobert wants to do is use the internet from both computers, via the ethernet cable, he doesn't want to have to keep unplugging the phone cable from one and plugging it back into the other and so on. I don't think (from talking to him) he can change his IP, because it is needed for his internet connection. Later down the road he wants to have it setup through broadband internet. And when he gets the broadband he wants to have only one computer plugged in, but with the capability to plug the other one in, if one computer is absent.

Just helping out by giving more info on the situation

Good Luck GPA, [deejay]
Nate
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back