Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP w/ Multihomed(TokenRing&Ethernet) in NT 4.0 Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabbidder

Technical User
Dec 4, 2002
US
I have both a Token Ring Card and an Ethernet Card in our NT 4.0 Server (SP6 w/ RRAS installed) that has been running IPX protocol on both segments without any issues for several years. We are finally adding a broadband connection to the Ethernet segment and must set up the TCP/IP protocol on both the Token Ring and Ethernet segments. I've created a 192.168.2.1 thru 254 IP address range with a 255.255.255.0 subnet mask for all the Token Ring and Ethernet workstations. I've set things up this way but can't ping to the Ethernet segment from the Token Ring nor ping to the Token Ring segment from the Ethernet! How do I get one side to route to the other and vice versa? HELP!!

Check that "IP Forwarding" is enabled in your network settings.

Thanks! I found the problem. It works fine when the Token Ring and Ethernet workstations are segregated into their own IP address segments (TR 192.168.1.x and ET 192.168.2.x) and assigning the gateway for each segment to the respective NIC IP in the multihomed server.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back