Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tcp/ip settings script advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 27, 2004
US
I don't have the luxury or running dhcp at this time. I have installed two new dns servers and in the process of removing the old ones. I need to change every client pc tcp/ip settings for dns server, about 100 machines. How should I do this, is there a script or something?

all u have to do is modify a registry key. what OS do the clients run?

We are running XP. After doing some serious searching I found some scripts to do this. Linked them to ou's through gp and they worked great. Thanks though

mrmoneymatters,

I read your reply posted above that you found a script for your purpose.

My situation is similar. We need to poll all of our machines deployed on two different subnets and read the DNS settings. We have some machines that can access the internet and some that can't based on whether we plug in an Internet based DNS server in the DNS settings tab. I now need to find out what machines do not have the internet based DNS address so I can fix them.

We have two floors and roughly 500 machines for me to poll.

Can you tell me where you found the scripts?

Thanks,

The above links are good places for scripts. The script I used is for changing dns settings on one computer at a time. If you want I can provide it, I also have a script that displays ip information on one machine. Try posting this question in the vbscript forum, there are two guys over there that really know their stuff.

Let me know if you need more help.

dont put the internet based dns server in their IP, use your internal DNS server and in the dns server properties turn on forwarders and put in the ISP internet DNS servers there.. you will run into security and resolution problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back