Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP recovery after being hit by virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

esdaniel

IS-IT--Management
Jun 10, 2001
GB
Hi All,

I've avoided re-building my laptop after 3 days of intensive virus scanning and installing hotfixes via usb key drive (FYI I was patched up and running AV before I got hit but sadly still had to repair XP as key system files got deleted too before I could stop the virus - still not sure which one I caught - and concerned about that too).

I've now installed Windows XP SP2 RC1 to be as patched as possible. One thing still stopped me from getting back on the net - my TCPIP sockets were causing errors (IPRIP event errors among others in the logs)

One of the major things that happened was that my TCPIP sockets got 'blown up' by this virus (btw was unable to identify it in the scanning but have run deep scans and not picked up anything else - I think it was Sasser but not 100% as which virus blows your TCP/IP sockets?)

A great tip I found out there was this tool for fixing the registry winsock entries:
This tool was a great help for me to fix my TCP/IP and got me back up. The problem now is that while my LAN connection is behaving gracefully my WiFI one is being petulent. Excuse my ignorance for this next bit: after uninstalling and re-installing LAN and WiFi drivers then running WinSockFix everything was fine but because I was not satisified with the WiFi (! Doh) I reinstalled the driver again then it went back to previous state and stopped behaving gracefully - specifically the adapter is fine as had been using it but there seems to be an issue with the DHCP and address assignment. The WiFi connection will connect to the WiFi router no problem but it cannot 'repair' i.e. it (WiFI connection) appears to be having trouble with its DHCP client management for the adapter - the LAN connection using same router is fine.

Any ideas?

Hope a bright spark can lend a hand.
Regards,

Ed

Lost Connectivity after Registry or Malware Cleanup
faq779-4625

Thanks SMAH, I did indeed jump to this post and feel a bit naughty for posting my problem before a thorough search - I follwed this advice:

"A recent Microsoft KB article that provides some diagnostic steps, and suggests a reasonable method of doing-it-yourself: to kill Winsock and Winsock2 in reg then re-add the IP protocols for the adapaters as well just to be 100%.

BUT I've found the problem in relation to my WiFi card - weird and wonderful not!

The router to which I was trying to make a successful wireless connection is running WEP. With XP Service Pack RC1 it has a nice GUI to help you see what you're doing in this respect - what it does also seem to do is prevent DHCP occurring when it sets up the connection - I checked the router and removed WEP - worked a treat, re-enabled WEP and back to the same problem again so I'm happy that I'm 'mobile' again but rather annoyed that I'm not secure (not saying WEP is secure but...).

Any ideas on how that could be resolved?

Well I'm feeling a bit stupid but heh, this happens I suppose - I took a look at the ADSL modem/WiFi router settings and it had routing and bridging enabled - I removed bridging as it was not necessary and now it seems that the wireless connection is behaving itself even though it was happy with this setting previously.

Thanks for reading and sorry to distract.

That's OK because apparently I must have only read about half of your first post. I was suggesting to use the tool that you already said you used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back