Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP problems Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepalm

Technical User
May 28, 2001
NZ
Hi

I have been running my peer to peer network without any real problems for months, but the other day I lost network and internet connectivity. My ADSL Router lights were continually blinking, I checked the events log and on one PC the error was,

"The browser service was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master...."

And on another PC "Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card with network address"

Another error "The DHCP Server sent a DHCPNACK message)"

I have 3 computers and a Laptop on the network, the only way I can fix the problem at the moment is to power on/off the router and after about an hour I lose it again.

thanks

JP

See if there are any clues in these?

XP Pro Networking component keeps dying
thread779-1134408

Router won't let me connect to internet
thread779-1057496

Thanks for the reply, I will check through the above threads.

JP

Have tried all the above links but still having problems.

If I only use one computer on the network and unplug the network cables from the switched of computers I have no problem but as soon as I connect another computer to the network an election is forced and my hub going nuts causing loss of network and internet connections.

Can you try another Router (or hub?) in case this one is the cause of any of the problems?

I had a look at these but I don't think they apply to you.

Browser Announcement Time Configuration, and Browser Elections

Troubleshooting File and Printer Sharing in Microsoft Windows XP

I replaced the ADSL/Router and I get the same problem, the network runs fine for a few minutes and then a network election is forced, sometimes due to master browser been stopped and then after that it all turns to custard.

Thanks
JP

I haven't had that problem since W98 days. My W2K Server kept trying to become the master browser of the LAN. I finally found that there was a setting in the properties of the LAN card, regarding Master Browser. I changed it to FALSE, and solved the problem.

Having it checked means that anytime a cpu can't access the master browser, if it set to true, will become 192.168.1.0 (or the default) which will be a duplicate IP address.

That'd be my guess, without more information.

-David
2006 Microsoft Most Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Yes I rememember those days and I did the exact same thing then and disabled the browser on LAN card, but does not have that option for XP

Thanks
JP

Does this help:

Disable Master Browser in XP, 9X, W2k:
Change master browser in w2k or XP:
Go to Program files, Admin tools, services then in the right panel right click on computer browser and go to properties then from the startup list select Disabled. Or type regedt32, and scroll to this key change value to False
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Browser\Parameters IsDomainMaster=FALSE

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

I am running an all XP network do I need to turn off browsers on all PC's? (I have 5 including Laptop) or just one of them?

Thanks
JP

I'm not really sure to be honest with you. I'm not even sure that is the root of your problem, however I am curious to find out. I'm not real familiar with the browser service and don't know if turning it off completely wouldn't cause additional problems. That being said I would try one first see how it reacts and then do more if it seems to help and doesn't blow anything up!

Keep us posted.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

Sorry you bought yourself a new Router, all to no avail, did you look at any cabling as being a problem?

This might give you some other settings to look at especially where it talks about "Mbps Full-Duplex" and the like.

Live Communications Server Service Does Not Start When You Restart the Computer

Are any of the Networked machines complaining about "Limited Connectivity"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back