Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP Pass thru Printing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikelehnert

Technical User
Oct 17, 2002
US
How do you setup TCP/IP pass thru printing to a local printer on a XP and 2000 host. I want to print from a unix host to a local printer on a XP and 2000 desktop. I did it before on NT 4.0 but cant remember how, I believe there wa sa registry entry i changed and installed the simple tcp/ip print protocol.

The above solutions allows you to print to a unix host, I need to setup an XP/2000 box with a local printer attached via the lpt port to act as a TCPIP printer. In NY 4 is was called pass thru printing.

It actually covers both possibilities, the difference being whether you enter the IP of the "directly connected printer" connected to the XP box, or the Unix host.

In more detail:

On the WinXP Box:

Add the TCP/IP print server service

Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel.

Double-click Add-remove Programs.

Click the Add-Remove Windows Components side button.

Open the Other Network File and Printer Services section.

Put a checkmark in Print Services for Unix.

Click OK; click Next. (The Computer will probably ask for the WinXP install disk, go ahead and put it in and the install will run automatically.)

Click Finish.

Close the Add-remove programs window.
To have the service start automatically (as a daemon):
Click Start -> Settings -> Control Panel.

Double-click Administrative Tools.

Double-click Services.

Double-click TCP/IP print Server.

Change the "Startup Type" to Automatic.

Click OK and close the windows that are open.
To share the printer for TCP/IP printing:
Click Start -> Settings -> Printers.

Right-click the printer you want to share and select Sharing.

Click the radio button for Share as and fill in the share name you want to print.

The Microsoft discussion generally ignores the need to run the service automaticly, and is too general about who the printer server is in the process:

Thanks for the input bcastner. I need to clarify 1 thing.
If i have a printer connected to my LPT port on the xp box, when i add the printer I assume the IP address i enter is that of the XP PC, as the printer has no IP address. Then I do the rest of what you pointed out in the post is this correct?

I tried to add an LPD port using the IP address of an XP client with a lpt connected printer. When i add the port using the xp client's ip address i get an error that the lpd host did not respond.

1. I assume you added the Windows Component for Unix Printing, and the service is started (and its startup option set to Automatic).

2. I assume you have a working printer assigned already to lpt1 under XP. This printer should be Shared. Let us call its sharename PRTR1, its port is Lpt1.

3. Go to Printers and Faxes. Run the Add New Printer Wizard. On the first page click radio button for Local Printer. Nothing else checked. On the second page, in the top box put in the XP computer IP. In the bottom box put in the sharename from step #2 above, in this example PRTR1. The rest is identical to any other share process. You identify the printer, you keep existing printer definitions (from #2), you give it a unique Queue Name (Sharename), in this case say PRT1_UNIX or whatever. You next your way to the end.

To test the printer, right-click it in the list, properties, at the bottom hit a button to print a test page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back