Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP Network Transport Protocol is not installed (but it is!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

INETCO1

MIS
Jan 7, 2002
CA
Here's the skinny:
1) laptop user tried to install service pack 2 on win2k pro running sp1 (Dell Inspiron 4000). Opts to backup the existing files.
2) laptop boots & displays nice light blue screen but no logon stuff.
3) user reverts to repairing win2k installation with original manufacturer's CD (includes SP1).
4) computer is happy once again
5) user can not use Outlook to access email (Exchange 5.5 sp4). IMAP, OWA, different computer all work.
6) Technet says to reinstall TCP/IP
7) uninstall TCP/IP, reboot, install TCP/IP, reboot, -can access servers & shares but error message stating "TCP/IP Network transport protocol is not installed."
8) WINS resolution works but DNS queries fail. ie
ping <local server> works but ping fails
9) DNS works from other computers.

I've compared the registry entries with a working computer and they seem to be in order: Hkey_local_machine\currentControlSet\NetBT
Hkey_local_machine\currentControlSet\Tcpip

TCPIP.sys version is 5.00.2195.1604

I don't know what else to check.

thanks in advance,
Steve

My suggestion:
Step 1. Remove the network services. i.e., remove/uninstall network card, protocol stack and even the file/print share services.
Step 2. Apply latest service pack.
Step 3. Install the networking services.
Step 4. Reapply service pack. (optional).

Caution: After every step reboot the machine OR you may be back to square ONE.

let me know.

prasanna

no such luck. SP2 was killing the machine for some reason.

I resorted to rebuilding the machine and installing service pack 2 before installing any apps. The system is happy.

thanks for the input though. It was worth a try. If I should come across the problem again and have more time I'll definitely post my findings.

thanks,
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back