Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP got corrupt, seems not fixable

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePL

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
Our TCP/IP protocol got corrupted somehow (perhaps from incompatible VPN software).We've tried a number of suggestions from technical bulletins, and nothing seems to work. The ping command gives: "unable to contact IP driver, error code 2". Ipconfig gives: "internal error, request not supported, unable to querry host name", and netdiag /test:winsock gives: "232 fatal can't find tcp/ip config in registry". We have tried deleting the winsock registry keys, running netsh winsock reset, reinstalling tcp/ip, overwriting the tcpip.sys file. Repeated the above with antivirus disabled. This is a new XP machine, and doesn't have any viruses. We're wondering if others may have seen this problem, is there a way to save us from having to reformat the drive?

1. Did it work before you loaded the VPN software?
2. If so, have you tried system restore, going back to before the software was loaded?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

The only fix that I would be able to suggest, is for you to either try:

1.) to fix the problem using the Recovery Console (XP CD)...

if that doesn't work then...

2.) do a Repair Install (XP cd)...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

I can only suggest that you delve further into this FAQ and if nothing there helps you consider a System Restore to before the problem, or SFC /Scannow followed by repair install if necessary.

Lost Connectivity after Registry or Malware Cleanup
faq779-4625

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Appreciate the suggestions. The repair install didn't work. System restore sounded like the best idea, but we didn't create a restore point before installing the VPN client. Luckilly we did find a ghost image that should work. Now we probably need to buy newer VPN software, that is compatible with Windows XP.

Now we probably need to buy newer VPN software, that is compatible with Windows XP
I'm sure you answered the prime question..

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

clicked sent instead of preview.... try
control panel --> network connections -->
open the correct link.. uncheck tcp/ip
close all links... back to the desktop....in a blank space click REFRESH.... now go back and add TCP/IP back to the network connection... this will REPAIR a corrupt TCP/IP
same problem Windows has had since Win 3.x

Frank Smith irc.dhcnetwork.com
gunslinger.gif

SomeWhere in Kansas Near Dodge City

Do a search for winsockfix.exe

It has been mentioned on Tek Tips before and has saved me a couple of times. I forget where I ended up downloading it from but I think it is available from several sites.

I wonder if this old Win2K trick will work.

In Control Panels/Add Remove Hardware remove the NIC.

Shut down the computer

Start computer without NIC.

Shut down again.

Install NIC

Let PnP do its thing.

Haven't yet had to do that on XP.

I did try deleting the NIC driver in device manager. However the Windows PnP OS was able to completely reinstall all the network components on the next reboot, automatically, without even prompting, as if they had never been deleted.
We are all set now, owing to having created a Ghost image.
Next time we will use the system restore feature, and create a restore point, in case it gets corrupted.

Actually, I didn't remove the NIC itself, so that may have been worth trying. Also winsockfix.exe sounds interesting.
Will keep that in mind. Much appreciate the comments.

Starting with WinXP SP2, there is a command that replaces the use of WinSockFix or IE-Fix, it is called netsh winsock reset...

Reference: faq779-4625

Well written Faq from Bcastner... check it out...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back