Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP for W3.x 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 2, 2001
US
I know there is a utility for setting up tcp/ip for w3.x, but I can't find it. Had it last year, but it never worked. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks. Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

I think there was also a software package "Chameleon" but I can't find a copy I used to have to verify it. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Thanks, I'll do some research into that also. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

[americanflag]

"There is only one good: knowledge; and only one evil: ignorance."
Socrates (470- 399 BC); Greek philosopher.

Sorry, that was for Unix. Jim

Please come back and let us know if your
problem is fixed and what fixed it!! [thumbsup2]

If its win 3.1 and not windows for workgroups you'll need the MS Dos network client. Go over to wown.com and you can get it along with good tutorials on how to set it up. They also have good tutorials on setting up wfw with tcp/ip and download links. Good luck.

I appreciate all the help. We've done this succesfully with two different nics, but on re-boot hung on a grey screen after, so it never loaded. I was able to boot with no nic, but had all kinds of error messages in dos. Had it detect the new nic after I installed it, and when I did a re-boot, now it hangs on a windows start-up screen. I can't ping it, but the nic shows activity. I've placed a hosts and lmhosts files on it, and was able to install dns and the domain. I don't understand the hang-up problem. Has anybody ever seen this before? Thanks. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884
"If I have made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention than to any other talent."
Sir Isaac Newton (1642-1727)

Here's what I've done.
Wiped out the hard drive.
Removed the nic.
Installed dos 6.22
Installed Windows for Workgroup
Re-booted with no problem, Windows loaded in seconds.
Installed the latest version of TCP/IP for Windows for Workgroups.
Turned off the machine, installed the nic.
Had the machine detect the nic, it found it with no problems.
Installed an IP address and subnet mask. Did not use a wins server or dns, just a hosts and lmhosts file.
Re-booted, the machine hangs on a grey screen.
If I install Windows for Workgroups with the nic in there, it hangs on boot-up, never gets to the grey screen.
I've used 2 seperate pc's, 3 seperate nics, and 2 different sets of install disks, always with the same results.
Is there something simple I'm missing? Thanks.

Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"The true delight is in the finding out, rather than in the knowing."
Isaac Asimov (1920-92); Russian-born US author.

Looks like an IRQ or other resource conflict between the NIC and something else. Is the NIC configurable, or do you have a sound card you can remove? CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

I think I just figured it out. This early protocol is class b broadcasts which aren't routeable, and we're using a router. Gonna dig up a crossover cable, hook it up to my laptop and see if I can ping the laptop. The next thing I need to remember is what I need on the server to allow class b's to be routable. I'm thinking a proxy server or something like that, just don't remember off the top of my head. Thanks for the help. I'll let you know if I'm right. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

I remember when I set this up sometime back for wfw311. If I installed the network when I installed wfw311, it would hang, but if I selected no network and then added it after I was in windows then it worked. I would add the Microsoft client, add the adapter and point it to the NIC driver disk in the A drive. Then I would add TCP\IP and select the automatic setting and not try to put in a manual IP address. It saw my router just fine and set everything up automatically. Lastly I selected TCP\IP as my default protocol.
Also, after this, on boot, it is slow to get back to windows(wait on it). It will ask for a user name and password if this is enabled. you can disable that in the network options in control panel. Jim

I've gotten that far. Sounds like you were using dhcp. We're not. I can ping locally with no problem, just can't ping anything outside the pc. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

I was writing that from memory, but I guess I was using dhcp. I just remembered the hanging problem, but sounds like your problem is different. I also remember having problems with convetional memory. The NIC used about 45KB and getting eveything to load high in upper memory was a pain. I had to re-arrange the order of things in Config.sys and Autoexec.bat. Smartdrive, MSCDEX, and the NIC eats up conventional memory. Jim

What makes me think it's a broadcast problem is it can ping itself all day long. I've set this up on 2 pc's and used 3 different nics. All the settings look perfect, and an ipconfig /all and route print are perfect. I need to pull out my books at home and find out how to make these broadcasts routable. I know there is a way, just can't remember it. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Wish I could help. Good luck! Jim

Thanks, I posted this thread in the W2K server forum for more help. Doing all kind of searches for routing packets. Thanks again. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

I think you mean (NetBIOS) B-node, not class B (as in subnet), which would have no bearing on the fact that it hangs.

If you load the DOS IP stack, can you get a ping?

ANFPS26 made some good points. CitrixEngineer@yahoo.co.uk

You're correct, had a brief brain dump. I can ping pc by name and number, but nobody else. I got it past hanging by dumping all but tcp/ip. It loads just fine, but won't ping anybody. Thanks. Glen A. Johnson
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back