Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

TCP/IP CP Reported Error 2 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MHansel739

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2002
I am getting the following error when trying to use a dial-up Internet connection. Now, this is happening on TWO different machines - both with clean system builds.

"TCP/IP CP Reported error 2: The system cannot find the file specified".

Now, both machines are running Windows XP w/ latest updates and latest drivers for modems. One is a laptop w/ built-in 10/100 NIC and 56k modem. The other is a desktop w/ a 56k modem, but had a NIC in it originally. I followed ALL of the steps that I found from Microsoft's website and still NO avail (articles Q165846, Q169116 and Q146333).

I use the dial-up Internet on the laptop when customer's do not have DSL/Cable modem available, so this is pretty important. And the other machine is a customer's PC and they use AOL (which connects to AOL, but anything that has to do with TCP/IP doesn't work).

We can dial out with these machines, and I tested several dial-ups on another PC w/ NO problem. I can dial into Citrix ICA clients and using pcAnywhere, but nothing that has to do with TCP/IP. It seems to me, it is as though TCP/IP is NOT bound to the modems, even though on the laptop, the modem has been there the whole time.

Please help me.

Thanks in advance,

Matthew Hansel

Do you have the TCP/IP protocol installed on the machines. In your network configuration you should see TCP/IP, if not add the protocol and re-boot.

This issue has been solved - we had a registry tweak that we were using that was exported from another system - this was causing all of the problems. We have since modified this registry tweak file and have solved the issue.

Thank you for your help.

--Matt

Hi Matt,

can you put that registry tweak into the faq area? I would like to use it as i have the same problem.

Thank you for your help.

Theodor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back